Domain redirect = 301 Permanent Redirect?

Hello:

I was wondering, if I use Dreamhost’s redirect function, how does it accomplish this? Is it the same as doing a 301 Permanent Redirect via my .htaccess file?

I want to redirect a domain, but I don’t want to lose my traffic. Let me know what you know.

Thanks,

-royc.

I think they are the same. What does the DH support say?

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Thanks.

I haven’t been able to find anything from DH Support that addresses my question.

It is almost the same. Using DreamHost’s panel the 301 redirect comes from changing httpd.conf. Your access logs show 301 redirects.

According to Dreamhost support (whom I finally contacted and from whom I got a prompt response), redirecting a domain through the Dreamhost Panel is accomplished via a 301 redirect: “Yes, our ‘dreamhost redirect’ just gives your domain a simple 301, just like a .htaccess would do.”

I’m moving a ten-year-old domain name to a new domain, and I just wanted to make sure I kept my SE placement and all of those legacy links.

Thanks for the responses.

Peace,

-royc.

Thanks for the follow up.

Now we know that control panel just automatically create the htaccess for us.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

The panel does not create an htaccess for this. It works the same, but uses a different file.

[quote=“royc, post:5, topic:46074”]
According to Dreamhost support : “Yes, our ‘dreamhost redirect’ just gives your domain a simple 301, just like a .htaccess would do.”[/quote]

This sounds good. But, how does one go about creating specifc 301 redirects that correspond to individual page of the old and new sites?

thanks!

~ Rick