Domain pointing

I have a site that was built through Intuit’s SiteBuilder/Homestead service.
That domain is www.ilcs-riverside.org

I decided to move away from that service and register a new domain (www.immanuelriverside.com) and hosting service through DreamHost and couldn’t be happier. I’d like to auto-direct the old domain to my new site/domain. I thought I could do that through Intuit/SiteBuilder but after 30 minutes on the phone with their tech support, they’re saying that the issue is on DreamHost’s end, which doesn’t make sense to me.

Do I need to actually code an auto-direct page with an <on_load> function or is there something simpler than that?

Thanks for your help.
-corey

You do have the option of changing the dns on ilcs-riverside.org to point to DH servers just like you have wih your new domain. Then you can add it as fully hosted and use a 301 redirect. This will transfer your search engine rankings to the new domain and also tell the search engines it is a permanent move. Eventually you would be able to let the registration on the first domain expire if you want or not depending on how many other sites are linking to it.

Is the entity the domain is for a commercial or a noncommercial one? If it’s noncommercial, the .org address is more logical than .com.

dtobias that has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. most people these days consider .com generic for just about anything. i use either .com or .net if .com is unavailable as a personal preference no matter what the project.