Domain Not Working

Hi,

Domain : anelectron.com
My ticket ID is:17345674

I renewed my domain on Dreamhost but not my hosting.
My domain has been down and there has not been much of great support from you guys.
When I go to the DNS of my domain in Dreamhost Panel I get the following message:

Weirdness on this domain…
We currently have no “zone” file for anelectron.com, and so you cannot modify DNS.

Are you sure you have this domain hosted with us? (This page won’t do anything unless anelectron.com’s nameservers are set to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost.com.)

Nonetheless, we’ll try and create one now. Please try reloading this page in a couple of minutes. Sorry for the delay!

Your support tells me that I need to renew my hosting for this.
But i transfered my hosting long ago and do not wish to transfer it back to dreamhost.

But this is not a reason for you guys not letting my domain work. When I make a whois query I get that you guys are my registrars. But when I make a DNS Look at :
http://www.dnswatch.info/dns/dnslookup?host=www.anelectron.com&la=en&type=A

It says that the registry is not having any record.

I have paid all my dues and awaiting for services to work.
I have become so restless as the site is down for 4 days now and there seems to be no sign that the domain will be up and running soon.

Please help me, I beg for your cooperation. Dont bring disrepute to Dreamhost in my minds!

I am a forum developer and my domain mean a lot.
My ticket ID is:17345674

Please HELP.

We’re just customers here, but from your description, once you let your hosting expire, DreamHost offers nothing but plain ol’ domain registration. Your DNS will have to be controlled elsewhere, like where your domain is actually hosted.

To get your domain working again, go to the Panel to Registrations and then Modify the WHOIS for that domain to use the nameservers at your new host.

-Scott

This is a customer-to-customer forum, and while DreamHost staff stops in from time to time, they rarely post here.

We can’t help you here … you should work with DreamHost tech support to resolve your issue if you feel there is something on DreamHost’s end that needs to be addressed.

All that said, I see your whois records have your DNS servers set to

ns.computinghost.com
ns2.computinghost.com

If those are not correct, you should correct them. If they are correct, then either DNS has not yet updated, or you should contact computinghost.com to get those DNS records sorted. Either way, from all indications in your published nameserver settings, I don’t see this problem as having anything at all to do with DreamHost.

Good Luck, and I hope you get it working soon!

–rlparker

Then Why is the NS look up not showing up in any look up query:
http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html?host=anelectron.com&type=ANY&server=&forward=Look+it+up
http://www.dnswatch.info/dns/dnslookup?host=anelectron.com&la=en&type=NS

That I guess is something to do with Dreamhost.
I think its still not registered with the Registry.
There is no info available at the registry for NS Records of anelectron.com

I just realized that you are going to the wrong place.

You can only modify DNS settings (“Custom DNS Settings”) from that place in the panel if you have an active hosting plan.

If you have a “Registration Only” plan (no hosting), the only things about your DNS that you can modify from the DH Control Panel are your nameservers .

If you need to do this, it is not done from the “Manage Domains” screen, but from the “Registrations” screen. To do that, and set your nameserver to wherever you DNS is being handled (your webhost?), tick the checkbox under the “Modify Whois” column for you domain to select it, and click the “Modify whois for selected” lilnk at the bottom of the page.

This will take you to a screen where you can set your nameservers, and other whois information. Set your nameservers to whatever they should now be (scroll down to the very bottom of the page ), and click the “set these nameservers for yourdomain.tld now” button.

This is all the modification you can do regarding your DNS on DreamHost if you have no hosting plan; any other DNS customization must be done through whoever is managing your nameservers.

–rlparker

I have already done this.
But there is no propagation in the DNS of the registry for the past 3 days.
Check the following links:
http://www.dnswatch.info/dns/dnslookup?host=anelectron.com&la=en&type=NS
http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html?host=anelectron.com&type=ANY&server=&forward=Look+it+up

What should I do for that ???

My guess would be that there are no DNS records set up for you on the DNS servers you have specified in the whois record.(see my earlier response).

[quote]That I guess is something to do with Dreamhost.
I think its still not registered with the Registry.
There is no info available at the registry for NS Records of anelectron.com[/quote]
Please go back and re-read my first response to you. It may be that “is something to do with DreamHost” (who manages your whois information) if you nameservers are incorrect. Like I said before, if they are correct, then your problem rests with whoever is managing those nameservers.

I sent you another message a few minutes ago trying to explain where you find that information on the DreamHost panel if you have no hosting plan - I think you were trying to look for them in the wrong place. :wink:

I agree that it is likely there is NO lookup information for your domain at the nameservers you have specified to DreamHost (the ones in the domain’s whois record). You need to fix that, by making sure that you have the correct nameservers specified (again see my most recent response to you) and that you have proper DNS records set up on the nameservers you have specified.

These should not be DreamHost. Are they computing.com’s (that’s what whois is currently showing!)? DreamHost only manages DNS for sites hosted on their servers.

–rlparker

Now I have two options in My Whois Info in Dreamhost:

1. Set DNS info to host your domain at DreamHost
  2. Set DNS info to host your domain elsewhere

I am using the second one and to check it further i added two more DNS Records which is now showing in my whois.
http://whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=anelectron&tld=com

Its there in the whois but still not in the NS Lookup.
If it has propagated in the WHOIS then why is there no record with the registry in any case.

Unless the Registry is updated its not going to work.
And its not getting updated.
I am really going mad and not getting the problem.

The info is there in the WHOIS but no NS Lookup senses the NS info.

What should I do in Dreamhost for that to happen ???
I have done what you said and that is why i added two more nameservers.

[quote]Its there in the whois but still not in the NS Lookup.
If it has propagated in the WHOIS then why is there no record with the registry in any case.[/quote]
It’s not a matter of propagation at all for the whois record. Unless you are reaching it from someplace where it is cached, it will always be “up to date”.

Again, all you have done by changing, or adding, nameservers to your whois record is tell the system where to look for DNS records. A nameserver contains DNS records in order to facilitate the lookup.

Maybe if I repeat this a third time, in slightly different words, you will understand:

If your nameservers are set correctly in your whois record, and you are still unable to resolve the domain name to an IP address, then your DNS information on the nameservers you are using is not correct or is not current.

[quote]Unless the Registry is updated its not going to work.
And its not getting updated.
I am really going mad and not getting the problem.[/quote]
The registry does not hold or provide lookup information. That is done by the nameserver that is indicated in the registry. You need to discuss this with the people who run the nameserver you have indicated is to be used.

The only info that is in the whois is what nameservers to use. It should now be obvious the the information that is in (or is not in?) the DNS records maintained in those nameservers is not being successfully used to lookup the IP address of your site. This is not DreamHost’s problem at all; it is a problem with your DNS reocrds in your chosen/specified nameservers.

[quote]What should I do in Dreamhost for that to happen ???
I have done what you said and that is why i added two more nameservers.[/quote]
You should do nothing more “in DreamHost”, and nothing you can do at DreamHost will resolve this problem if you have correctly specified the nameservers. You can add as many nameservers as you want in your whois record at DreamHost and it will make no difference if your DNS records are not properly added to the nameservers you specify. Nothing you can do at DreamHost, and nothing DreamHost can do for you can correct a problem with your DNS records on another nameserver…

If your current host is computinghost.com (which is whose nameserver you have said to use) you need to discuss this with them; Dreamhost can’t help you with it, because

ns.computinghost.com
ns2.computinghost.com
ns3.computinghost.com
ns1.computinghost.com

… ARE NOT DREAMHOST’S NAMESERVERS!

–rlparker

OK.
I will check with them again.

But there is still one thing.
The domain registrar provides us an authorization/transfer code i.e. Dreamhost should give me a authorization/transfer code.

Till where I remember it was previously available in Domains -> Reg. Transfers.

After renewal it is not there.
What does that mean ?

[quote]The domain registrar provides us an authorization/transfer code i.e. Dreamhost should give me a authorization/transfer code.

Till where I remember it was previously available in Domains -> Reg. Transfers.

After renewal it is not there.
What does that mean ?[/quote]
You’ll have to ask DreamHost. All the authorization codes are on that page on my account (at the bottom of the page).

When did you renew it? Is it possible that it is in a “no transfer” period for a time after the renewal? Send a Support request to DreamHost and ask them about it. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

I did send them and they give replies in hours.
The last info they sent was:

"The thing is, your domain registration has expired, so that

is why the domain is not resolving. You want to make sure that

you have renewed the domain registration and then you should be

all set. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns."

They had said this before also.
Then in their replies they said it was stuck and they cleared it.
And now again they are saying the above message.

They have lost it and are making me restless.

[quote]The last info they sent was:

"The thing is, your domain registration has expired, so that
is why the domain is not resolving. "’[/quote]
Good luck with that; I don’t know how else I can help you.

–rlparker

If your domain registration has been marked as expired and you believe you have paid for the renewal you’ll need to take a few deep breaths and contact Support again stating your case.

During correspondence don’t mention things that are not pertinent (whois, DNS, etc.) as it will only confuse your issue. Simply state your position that you believe you have paid for the domain’s renewal and have been informed by Support that the domain registration expired anyway.

DH can then concentrate on checking that the domain renewal was paid and if so, they’ll activate it :slight_smile:

WHOIS shows that the domain has been renewed for another year.

-Scott

Thanks for your help.
Dreamhost said it was on clienthold.
Now only they can resolve the issue but it seems they are least interested and have taken no steps to remove the clienthold !

That WHOIS record has not changed since the OP started this thread, except for the addition of two additional nameservers. The expired date is the same now as it was then.

That said, the OP may(or may not) actually still have a problem:

“NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the registrar’s sponsorship of the domain name registration in the gistry is currently set to expire. [color=#CC0000]This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration date of the domain name registrant’s agreement with the sponsoring registrar[/color].”

–rlparker

I have paid for that.
They just have to activate it.

That’s good to hear … hopefully they will get it worked out soon.

–rlparker

I have a similar problem, I can see my domain under ‘manage domains’ and it says that i have 5-days remaining. When i go to the ‘registrations’ page, that domain doesn’t appear and i can’t see how to renew it.

when i go to who.is it the name servers are dreamhost
(as they should be, cos i have only purchased names through dreamhost!!!)

How can I renew my expiring domain name???