Domain Name

wordpress

I cannot figure out how to do this. I have a domain name that is registered at Godaddy.com. I have a dreamhost account. I want to setup wordpress on this account and use my Godaddy domain name. How do I link these names.

I don’t think I want to transfer the domain to godaddy. I want Godaddy to remain in control of the domain. Would transfering the domain, shift this control to dreamhost and close my godaddy account?

I changed the nameservers for the domain to dreamhosts but it is still not working.

Did you add hosting for this domain in the “Manage Domains” section of the control panel? Use the "Add New Domain / Sub-Domain button/link.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I think so. I’m not sure if I did it correctly though. I chose the fully hosted option. I entered http://www.mydomain.com in the domain to host section. Then I clicked fully host this domain now.

I am trying to move from a blogspot blogger to wordpress hosted on dreamhost. After I added the domain, I clicked visit my site. This took me to the old blogger account that this domain was previously used for. I changed the DNS servers so I’m not sure how I am being directed to this site. I had to add a CNAME when I was using a custom domain for blogspot. To do this they instructed me too enter www as the subdomain and ghs.google.com as the host name. Do I have to change or delete this?

Also, I had installed wordpress on dreamhost before. Then I deleted it. Now I am trying to install it on the domain but I get an error message that says something like the location is not empty. How do I fix this. I don’t have any info that I need, so I could completly delete it, but I don’t no how. I removed the wordpress instalation but I guess that did not work. Thanks.

1. To get the domain working:
    Yes, remove the CNAME entry. It’s gumming things up. You may have to wait a bit for DNS to propagate before this works. If your site is little used, you can tell us here what your site is and we can do a little testing that might verify things a little faster (in the hopes that some of us won’t be in your current DNS cache “path”).

2. My advice for this is to rename the original www.mydomain.com directory to deleteme.www.mydomain.com and create a new directory www.mydomain.com in the same spot (presumably in your home directory). Later, we can figure out how to delete the old renamed directory.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

“2. My advice for this is to rename the original www.mydomain.com directory to deleteme.www.mydomain.com and create a new directory www.mydomain.com in the same spot (presumably in your home directory). Later, we can figure out how to delete the old renamed directory.”

I don’t quite follow this. Are you referring to the domain management section in dreamhost or the Godaddy account?

Also, the site is www.sharpeinvesting.com. I have been emailing dreamhost support and they same that the domain is working and loading a blank index. On my computer though, the domain still loads the blogger address.

You asked:

I answered:

We misconnected and you said:

Sorry for being unclear! This is to fix the problem about the DreamHost web directory for your domain not being empty.

BTW, when I go to your site, I see an empty directory index. It’s either DNS caching or your web page being cached. Try clearing your browser cache or shift-F5 refreshing the page.

Thanks for helping me with these problems. I installed wordpress, and I got an email with direction on how to implement the program. The directions have urls I can go to to install wordpress and other features. All of the address are http://www.mysite.com/someaddress. When I enter this I recieve a 404 page not found error. Any idea why this is happening?

Also, I can see all of the wordpress files on my ftp server.

Uhhh. Hey, the install files are all there and ready. I think it’s just some DNS or page caching issue for you. (I hesitate to say more because I don’t want anyone messing with your WordPress installation)

What do you get when you go to your site’s home page?

I think the site is working now. I’m not 100% sure, but thanks for your help with these issues. Do you mind if I private message you if I have any more problems? You have been a huge help!

Sure thing, but do remember that other people do have as much, if not more expertise on the issues we’ve discussed here, so it’s actually to your benefit to post rather than PM.

If there is anything specific to your site that you don’t want to post, please do PM me. I’m relatively inexperienced in some areas, so I may have to point you back to the forum for better advice!