Domain name with godaddy and hosting w/ dreamhost

Well I am in a weird situation.

I orginally had a website and it was hosted on a free server. Then I found out about the ad that gave you one year of dreamhosting for like 7 bucks, I couldn’t turn it down.

So my domain is registered on godaddy. And I have another domain for my personal use on dreamhost.

So the problem with my website is that when I or others click on links on the site it won’t change the URL. I know it means that it is masked. But I also don’t want people knowing that I am hosting on my own site.

Right now people go to example.com and it shows example.com but when the click on news it still shows example.com instead of example.com/news. And yes everything is in its own folders.

How can I fix this?

I’m not 100% sure what your question is, or how it’s related to Godaddy.

If your registered at Godaddy, and your nameservers are set to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com – then Godaddy is pretty much out of the picture as far as the hosting end goes.

If your site is set to fully-hosted in the control panel (Domains - Manage Domains), then it would just sound like you’re using frames and that’s normal behavior. If the control panel lists it as cloaked, just choose one of the other options.

Frames aren’t hiding your identity anyway. It’s easy enough to figure out what’s what. And if you’re not using private registration, anyone can just look up your name, address & phone number in the WHOIS info.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Ok I just did that.
I also have a forums on my site how do I get it so forums.example.com will work.

I have forums from Invisionfree.com

create a fully hosted sub-domain using the DH control panel, and install your invision forum in that directory.
–rlparker

FYI Invisionfree.com is hosted on there servers not mine.

You could create the subdomain and have it cloak the forum on their server – but you will have that same problem where the browser will always say forum.domain.com, no matter which links are clicked.

Or, you could just setup the subdomain to redirect to the forum on the other site. It will still send them there, but at least you can link people with forum.domain.com to keep it simple… plus, that link will still be good if you ever decide to do the next option:

But if you want the forum to appear to be at your subdomain AND want the browser address to change, you’ll need to fully host it and install your own forum software.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).

Yikes! Thanks for pointing that out…I read it to fast, and thought you were using invision powerboard…sorry 'bout that!

–rlparker

[quote] “Or, you could just setup the subdomain to redirect to the forum on the other site. It will still send them there, but at least you can link people with forum.domain.com to keep it simple… plus, that link will still be good if you ever decide to do the next option:
.”[/quote]

I just did the fully host option and the DNS is updated. So now how do I do what you just said.

Just go back to Domains -> Managed Domains, then edit the subdomain. Scroll down to the redirect option and enter the the URL of your forum (whole thing, including the http://).