Domain name renewal

I got my domain name for free by signing up for Hostonce.com’s service. So technically, they own my domain name. However, I am currently being hosted by dreamhost (thanks!). Just yesterday, my domain name expired, so I I try to view my website, it gives me another webpage.

My first question is, are all my files intacked? Since my domain name expired, did my files get erased? Or is it still on dreamhost’s server?

I tried emailing the company that owns my domain name, but they haven’t responded. I hope I will be able to get it back or renew it. If anyone knows the answer to any of the question, let me knoq. Thanks!!

the files will be fine…

You may have to wait for the domain to be released to get it back which can take anything from a month to 3 months and sometimes longer…

www.rawkstar.net

[quote]I got my domain name for free by signing up for Hostonce.com’s service. So technically, they own my domain name. However, I am currently being hosted by dreamhost …

[/quote]

Not necessarily. It really depends on how your original contract with Hostonce is worded. Technically, they may be be the Admin Contact but if you are listed as the Registrant (i.e. owner), you have every right to do whatever with it. And yes, your website content is separated from your domain registration, so your files are safe with DreamHost. Don’t worry. But if your domain name has already expired, you may want to try renew it (yes, you can still renew it) with the Registrar (which is not necessarily Hostonce). You can check that at http://www.internic.net/whois.html. Good luck.

[color=#CC0000]name[/color]slave
Domain Registration, Web Hosting & Search Engine Optimization

ok…I ended up registering with dreamhost. I went to domainitron, and registered hidawl.net. I registered it for free because it’s included with the plan I have right now. However, how do I transfer all the contents of HiDawl.COM to Hidawl.net?

If you check your DreamHost web panel, it will tell you what ‘machine’ hidawl.com was hosted. For example mine is vega so I can FTP to vega.dreamhost.com (works for shell too).

Though perhaps if hidawl.net shows up in the same user directory as hidawl.com you can probably log in to shell and just use ‘mv’

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS