Domain name help

I run a club website with a domain name, which I have always paid for.

I have now left the club, and the site hosting is paid for up until March 2013.

What happens after that date. Can I keep the name and take the site down. Can I sell the domain to the club?

Are there any other options to me.

thanks in advance

If it is the site that is hosted & registered with us then it is held for 30 days after expiration.
After those 30 days the domain is released and at that point anyone can take the domain.
If the account is yours, as long as you continue to pay for it, you can continue to run the domain however you want.
In terms of “selling” the domain, you would have to grant them access to your DH account and renew the domain registration so it stays with us. (which I don’t recommend)
If the club wants the domain, I recommend letting it expire and advising them of it. They wont actually get the site you built, just the domain name.
Let me know if you have any other questions!
I hope this helped.

Actually there are a few more periods before the name is available again for the club to re-register. There is a redemption period and i believe another time span after that. If the site was popular at all it then domain name will probably be picked up by one of the companies that buys bulk domain names before it went back to just being publically available.

I’ve been in this situation before and the route I took was to advise the club that their site was hosted on my server, and to please make other arrangements and I would transfer the domain to them and give them backups of their site.

as far as selling the domain name to them goes, is it really worth it? Is it really theirs to begin with, and your just hosting it? Sure maybe you paid for it, but i bet you got something in return? Anyway this is a moral question, but if I were you I would just ask them what registrar they would like you to transfer it to and do it, no charge.

Is there a way to transfer the domain ownership before it expires?

Why shouldn’t he just transfer the domain name to the club? That avoids having to go through this whole “letting the domain expire” phase. A time during which you can’t attach a site to the domain and the end of which anyone could reregister the domain - there’s no guarantee that the club will get to it first.

Indeed the domain can be transferred before it expires. Both parties would just need to accept.
You can start the process with our support team here: https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=support.msg&
Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. :slight_smile: