Domain mapping from Yahoo

wordpress

Howdy,

I just opened a DH account to set up a WordPress blog and transfer my data from what I was running in Blogger. I manage my domain on Yahoo and within Blogger, I was able to map to my custom domain by adding a CNAME record in my Yahoo for Domains account to point to what I assume is a Google name server where some magic happens and the domain I manage on Yahoo shows up in all my URLs correctly.

Soooo, how do I do that on DH?

I’d prefer to continue to manage my domain on Yahoo, but I’m not DNS savvy enough to know what to do on the DH end. Within WP, I can change the domain that shows up in all the URLs, but for the base rewriting I’m assuming I need a DNS entry on the DH side to make that all happen.

Any pointers?

—Pete

[quote]I was able to map to my custom domain by adding a CNAME record in my Yahoo for Domains account to point to what I assume is a Google name server where some magic happens and the domain I manage on Yahoo shows up in all my URLs correctly.

Soooo, how do I do that on DH? … I’m assuming I need a DNS entry on the DH side to make that all happen.[/quote]
Yep! All you have to do is set your Yahoo for Domains account to use DreamHost’s nameservers (ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost), and then “add a Domain or Domain”, if you have not yet done so in the web panel -> Domains -> Mange domains screen.

This will cause DreamHost to create a DNS record for your domain on their nameserver, and create an initial directory in your user space from which your domain will be served (this is where you put your files/blog installation/etc,) :slight_smile:

–rlparker

It took me a little trial and error with the DH DNS settings, but I got it going. Thanks!

Good deal, and I’m glad you got it set up!

–rlparker