Domain locking

i just signed up to be with dreamhost and got my free domain name, but my question is how do place it on registrar-lock it? if it is active then anyone can just redirect my domain name to wherever they want to.

If you just got a free domain name, then you own it. Only you can direct it.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

Yes, the free domain that you get from DH is actually just DH paying for the registration and yearly fees. Their money, YOUR domain. Even if you move from DH later on, it will stay your domain.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

Not having your name on Registrar-lock doesn’t mean that anyone can transfer the domain name, or change the zone file at all. It just a mass paranoia (spelling, i just woke up…) that was caused when ICANN decided that only ONE e-mail needs to be responded to to complete the transfer of a domain name.

Be assured, that whether or not your domain is locked, you ‘own’ it and have full control over it. The only way to make changes, is to hack DH’s systems (or steal your user:pass) and make the changes internally.

actually i was talking about what happens if heaven forbid i don’t turn on my computer for a week and I get an email for a domain transfer due to ICANN new policy

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/11/09/domain_transfers_and_hijackings_to_become_easier.html

Don’t worry about it. If someone does initiate a transfer of your domain an e-mail is going to be sent to the admin e-mail address on file (in the WHOIS). This e-mail HAS to be responded to in order for the domain name to go anywhere.

So, unless the e-mail from the ‘losing’ registrar is answered, to confirm that you wish to transfer away, the domain name is going no where.

I’d give my right arm to be ambidexterous!

Actualy, The Registrar of record (losing registrar) Cannot deny the transfer if you don’t respond to them. it is up to the Gaining registrar to contact you. But if the gaining registrar is unscrupulous, then they can claim contact, and proceded with the transfer.

Links:
Slashdot:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/10/0425218&tid=95&tid=17

From the Icann site

“The Registrar of Record may not deny a transfer request solely because it believes that the Gaining Registrar has not received the confirmation set forth above.”

and

"Instances when the requested change of Registrar may not be denied include, but are not limited to:

• Nonpayment for a pending or future registration period
  • No response from the Registered Name Holder or Administrative Contact."

-Jason

I40.com - Home Page
MP3Mystic - Personal Streaming Music server.
(No longer hosted with Dreamhost)

Ya, that’s right. Had my winning and losing mixed up.

================================
I’d give my right arm to be ambidexterous!