Domain ftp user

Hi. I’ve had a look round about this, but could some kind soul explain a little clearer.

I’m going to bring across my brother’s domain to DH, by creating the domain name in cpanel, then he will activate the nameserver change at his current place (co.uk so it won’t be registered here). No problem so far as I’ve already done it on a domain of my own.

I want to create a ftp user for him to be able to upload to “his” domain only, i.e. not be able to get in (or preferably see) my domain(s). Can I do that? What I read I got the impression that I can only create a general ftp folder for him, not access to his www.thename.co.uk folder.

If I can’t do it, I’ll just create a user for him and I myself could transfer the files he uploads to that folder, to the www.thename.co.uk folder, right? Phew…

Thanks

New registrants use RHBONUS to get $97 discount on new signup.

^^^^^^ Hope this is OK, 1st time using it!! Is it OK Mr Lensman? :slight_smile:

You can create a user for him - either now or when you add hosting for his site via the control panel (or later, but that’ll be a lot of extra work).

When you add his domain in the control panel, you can specify his unix username as the “FTP user / CGI-runs-as user”. This means that the web home for the domain will be /home/yourbrothersusername/thename.co.uk folder.

He can then have control of the files and they’ll all be under his home directory. Without jumping through hoops, your username will not have access to his files and unless you jump through similar hoops, he won’t have access to any of your files either.

Do you want him to have limited control panel access?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

“When you add his domain in the control panel, you can specify his unix username as the “FTP user / CGI-runs-as user”. This means that the web home for the domain will be /home/yourbrothersusername/thename.co.uk folder.”

Right, so I was hoping people could reach his site by using http://www.thename.co.uk will that be so ?

“He can then have control of the files and they’ll all be under his home directory. Without jumping through hoops, your username will not have access to his files and unless you jump through similar hoops, he won’t have access to a
ny of your files either.”

Right, maybe I’d be better controlling it all, yet giving him a ftp folder to use then I’ll transfer the stuff to his “domain”

“Do you want him to have limited control panel access?”

I’d prefer none really!

Thanks