Domain expired after renewal

I’ve already created a support ticket (coming up on 24 hours ago with no response), but I thought I’d post here in case someone has experienced the same thing and has some advice.

I have/had a “new” TLD domain (.cc) registered though DH just over a year ago. I believe it was set to renew around 2012-06-09. I host a smallish web app at this domain.

I have all my domains set to auto-renew, including this domain. I received the normal amount of notification emails leading up to the auto-renewal, and on 2012-06-10 I was billed (and paid) for another year. If I check my DH Panel Registration page, I have a new expiration of 2013-06-09. All seems well.

The problem is the domain now points to a parking page that states it is expired. The WHOIS states it has expired:

[quote]Status:RENEWAL HOLD
Note: This Domain Name has expired. In this status the domain name
is inactive. This domain name will be activated once it is renewed.
The Owner of this domain name can renew this domain name from their control panel.
If this domain name is not renewed by 19-Jul-2012, it will be permanently deleted.[/quote]

I’ve since learned that DH is not the actual registrar, but “DirectI Internet Solutions” is. It appears that DH has taken the money I paid for the domain, but failed to pass that money along to the “real” registrar and thus it’s on the chopping block.

Obviously no one can do anything about this other than DH Support, but I’m growing antsy. I just wish I had caught this two weeks ago when it happened, but I had just moved and had no Internet access.

Any advice?

If you want to lookup the domain yourself, it’s http://www.prolifi.cc

Thanks in advance,
Tamal

it looks like the domain has been renewed for another year, but is not pointing to dreamhost’s name servers.

check: http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp

and view the information provided after a search for your domain.

dreamhost is probably using PublicDomainRegistry.com to register domain names for it’s customers.

It also appears that the domain was not renewed until the 11th of the month, so that is probably what reset all of the domain settings.

Interesting, it does appear to be renewed now, at least from DirectI’s perspective.

This is what I see when I WHOIS from my panel (emphasis added and boilerplate removed):

[quote]Whois Server Version 1.0

Domain names can now be registered with many different competing registrars.
Go to http://registrar.verisign-grs.com/whois/ for detailed information.

Domain Name: PROLIFI.CC
Registrar: DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
Referral URL: http://www.PublicDomainRegistry.com
Name Server: DNS.PARKPAGE.FOUNDATIONAPI.COM
Name Server: DNS2.PARKPAGE.FOUNDATIONAPI.COM
Updated Date: 11-jun-2012
Creation Date: 09-jun-2011
Expiration Date: 09-jun-2013

Last update of whois database: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 07:20:29 EDT <<<

NOTICE:The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar’s sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the
expiration date of the domain name registrant’s agreement with the
sponsoring registrar.
Users may consult the sponsoring registrar’s
Whois database to view the registrar’s reported date of expiration
for this registration.

TERMS OF USE: …

The Registry database contains ONLY .cc, .tv, and .jobs domains
and Registrars.
Registration Service Provided By: DREAMHOST.COM

Domain Name: PROLIFI.CC

Registrant: …

Creation Date: 09-Jun-2011
Expiration Date: 09-Jun-2012

Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

Administrative Contact: …

Technical Contact: …

Billing Contact: …

Note: This Domain Name has expired. In this status the domain name
is inactive. This domain name will be activated once it is renewed.
The Owner of this domain name can renew this domain name from their control panel.
If this domain name is not renewed by 19-Jul-2012, it will be permanently deleted.
The data in this whois database is provided to you for information purposes only …[/quote]

So the domain appears to be active on the lines pertaining to DirectI, but on the Dreamhost lines it states it as expired. If I check DirectI’s WHOIS though, it states it’s expired: http://publicdomainregistry.com/whois/

I did finally receive a message from DH Support stating that they had to forward the issue to an admin to work on.

When I was first attempting to troubleshoot the issue I did think it was only a nameserver issue and I updated the DNS to point to DH’s nameservers. After that didn’t work I uncovered the expiry issues. Regardless I’ve attempted to update nameservers again this morning.

I’ll post if anything changes.

Dreamhost support did get back to me and sorted (almost) everything. My registration panel still has the old expiration date but everything else is working.