Domain elsewhere, but want Dreamhost

Hi all, I have some website experience having built pages with Front Page for years (and only using free hosts however), then took a break from building and in that time PHP powered web portals became the rage and I was left in the dust!

Anyway, I wanted to create a site with drupal, and I had purchased webspace with Go Daddy almost a year ago. I found out the hard way, that Go Daddy disables certain features in Drupal for security reasons.

With that, a friend of mine told me about Dream Host, I checked it out and really like what I’m seeing. Flexible hosting, worker run (my favorite feature) lol.

Anyway, my domain names are still trapped with Go Daddy, one was registered for 2 years, the other I only registered less than 30 days ago so I can’t transfer.

My question, as a novice to this, is it easy to switch my host to Dreamhost and for now keep my domain names at Go Daddy until I can switch them in the future? I’m hoping this is something I can easily do, by just redirecting the domain to dreamhost or something, but I’m not sure as I’ve never done it! This is the only thing stopping me from signing up here today, so if I can get some info I’d appreciate it :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Yes, this is very easy to achieve.

You just need to use whatever configuration utility that Go Daddy provides for your domains to configure the DNS servers to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com.

This way, you can keep your domains registered at Go Daddy, but host the sites here at DreamHost. Later, if you wish, you can transfer the domains to DreamHost using the web admin panel.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Yes you can have a domain somewhere, and hosting elsewhere.

You don’t have to have your domain on dreamhost (i don’t).
Just set your dns with DH one’s (ns1.dreamhost.com ns2 and ns3).

Also, if you want to use DH to manage domain, you can transfer them (however, a domain can’t be transfered to another registar on the first 60 days after registration),
but you don’t have to if you don’t want.
If your domain (if it’s a gtld, .com for instance) is registered for 2 years, transfer to DH will add 1 more year, you don’t lose years.

Just don’t forget to cancel any “auto renew” for your hosting option at godaddy.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

Everything is already been said :slight_smile:
I have around 60 domains with Godaddy, and my hosting is DreamHost, so no worries. Just point to these DNS referred above, create your accounts here at DreamHost, and a few hours later your sites are working :slight_smile:

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

but you repeated it anyway! arent promo codes a wonderful invention? :slight_smile:

to the OP - when it does come time to transfer your domains it will cost you $9.95 per domain because during the transfer you extend the registration by 1 year. if money is tight, it might be best to wait until the domains are a month or so from expiring then transfer.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone, this is by far one of the kindest and most helpful forums I’ve encountered. Looks like I’ll swap my hosting over the Dreamhost then and get working on Drupal. I only wish the Drupal community was this helpful, I asked them for help and never got a reply after 3 days!

However, I found that Dreamhost has a wiki about drupal that has more info then the drupal site, so I should be all set!

Thanks again :slight_smile:

I only replied to assure the op that this is an usual practice and that Godaddy won’t penalize him for that. If I have 60 domains with them, and do this in a regular basis…
You aren’t forced, even morally to host with them. Before anything else, they are a domain Registar.

Why would I reply because of my signature, if moua has the same discount value and he posted before me? It doesn’t make sense, and it isn’t very nice. Did you post because of your signature? I wouldn’t think that about you.

Peace

:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

Given the smiley after his comment, I have a feeling that Mojo was only joking. If I were you, I wouldn’t take it too seriously.

Personally, I don’t even consider the promo in my sig, I just post whenever I think I can help someone or add something of value to the thread.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Same here - I’ve registered a lot of domains through Godaddy, but never entertained the idea of using them as a host.

I like to just think of them as a registrar, but I’ve also picked up a few cheap SSL certs from them… which of course, makes me by another domain name when they throw the “Get a domain for $1.99 with this purchase” message. :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

I really hope so Mark… but it felt like an indirect joke. Well, no matter. I’m a bit tired and I may have misinterpreted that.