Does my server include the following?

apps

And if if doesn’t have what’s listed below, can I add some of it? I know it has FFmpeg, but that’s about it

• Linux Server (some old distributions are not supported)
  • Apache Web Server
  • MySQL (version 4 +)
  • PHP (version PHP 5)
  • PHP Configuration

o safe_mode = off
o max_execution_time = 1000 (recommended to prevent timeouts during video upload/conversion)
o session.gc_maxlifetime = 14000 (recommended to prevent session expires during video upload)
o open_basedir = (no value)
o output_buffering = on
o upload_max_filesize = 100M (recommended maximum video upload size in MB)
o post_max_size = 100M (recommended maximum video upload size in MB)

Generally speaking, you will have a lot of work to do to get one of those YouTube clones working properly:

[quote]* Linux Server (some old distributions are not supported)

• Apache Web Server
  • MySQL (version 4 +)
  • PHP (version PHP 5)
  • PHP Configuration[/quote]
    No problem with all the above

[quote]o safe_mode = off
o max_execution_time = 1000 (recommended to prevent timeouts during video upload/conversion)
o session.gc_maxlifetime = 14000 (recommended to prevent session expires during video upload)
o open_basedir = (no value)
o output_buffering = on
o upload_max_filesize = 100M (recommended maximum video upload size in MB)
o post_max_size = 100M (recommended maximum video upload size in MB)[/quote]
You will need to make several PHP configuration changes to PHP to facilitate these settings, and some of those setting are too high/inappropriate for a shared server (though you could probably use them in a PS machine if you have allocated sufficient resources)

[quote] * GD Library 2 or higher

[quote]* CGI-BIN Access

• Apache mod_rewrite Enabled
  • PHP Configuration (php.ini): register_argc_argv = On
  • Must be able to run PHP from the command line (CLI) with exec()
  • Allowed execution of background processes with exec(“binary > /dev/null &”)[/quote]
    Np problem here as far as availability of functions, but our procwatch daemon will likely find, and kill, any background process that is run that uses too much CPU, RAM, or runs to long … so it is quite possible that you will have problems with that.

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

Thanks for the quick reply! So you’re saying I can do it, it’ll take lots of work, and if I want the 100 meg video files, I might get in trouble for using too many resources? Isn’t that what I’m paying for? Bandwidth and storage? What I mean is, there must be something else I’m not aware of. Thanks again for the fast response.

He pointed out that some of those things are CPU hogs, which can drag the server down even if you’re not burning up the bandwidth & space.

When you have something that hammers the CPU, you’ll generally need to go with a dedicated server, or possibly a VPS.

Basically, with any shared host, you can’t do anything that makes everyone else on the server suffer.

:stuck_out_tongue: Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH