Does Gmail account disappear if I cancell

Hi,
I am canceling my hosting with dreamhost and was wondering if the Gmail account I have through them get’s deleted when I cancel.
The account show up as myname@myurl.com, but it is run through Gmail.
Thanks!,
k

No. DreamHost only acts as your DNS host to point you to the Google servers. You’ll need to set up DNS elsewhere so mail@example.com continues to go to Gmail.

-Scott

hmmm. so the gmail account will stay? But I won’t be able to access it? It’s so confusing to me.

Also how do I transfer the hosting if my domain name is newly registered with dream host? I read something that to go the other way the domain name needs to be registered longer than 60 days? I need to cancel my hosting today but i registered my domain with dream host yesterday. because that’s when it expired.

You’ve already paid for (at least) a year of domain registration. Once you change hosts, you can edit the WHOIS info for your registration here to use the DNS servers at the other host. Registration and hosting are two separate systems. Kinda like your drivers license and car registration. You need both, but they’re not necessarily done at the same time and at the same place.

Before you do that, take a screenshot of all DNS settings for that domain here in the panel by clicking on Domains -> Manage Domains, and then the DNS link. You’ll need many of those entries at your new host site if you want to use Gmail.

Those DNS entries do two things: One is that it tells your web browser where your webmail interface is, and the other is that it tells mail servers where to deliver your mail. Ok, three things: it tells your mail client where the POP/IMAP/SMTP server is.

-Scott

You can still control your domain DNS settings here if DreamHost is your registrar. You don’t require a hosting account in order to have access to the registrar-specific settings within Panel.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

DNS Settings as in which server to use, or DNS settings as in full table/zone file?

-Scott

Full control I’d reckon. http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS

I think dimdim was worried that due to being caught within the 60 day cooling off period, and not having an active hosting account, that (s)he’d be left high and dry so far as Panel access goes, with no recourse to manipulating records.

I don’t think so. You need to go to Domains -> Manage Domains and click DNS, but if you don’t have hosting here, then you won’t have that option.

-Scott

[quote]I don’t think so. You need to go to Domains -> Manage Domains and click DNS, but if you don’t have hosting here, then you won’t have that option.

[/quote]

You do, actually. Your options for domain types are much more limited if you don’t have a hosting plan, but you can use the DNS-only, Google Apps, and Cloaking domain types (iirc) even if all you have is a domain registration.

If a registrar didn’t provide a management console I’d think they’d be obligated by some law or other to perform changes for you whenever you wanted. Much better to provide a Panel.

Cool! And all that for $10/yr. Quite a bargain if Google Apps is your thing.

-Scott

Very true. Even if just for a single “custom” email address handled with GMail it’s great value.