Does Dreamhost have the following?

Hello,

I would like to use Dwmail to check my emails on my site and it needs the following: PHP 4.1.0 or higher , --with-imap, IMAP extensions to PHP (IMAP c-client, PHP session support, Sending email support using PHP’s mail(), PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expressions), ability to change inbox quotas, and what MySQL version does Dreamhost have, and finally, do you block outbound connections? If so will getting a dedicated IP fix this?

Thanks.

You have the option of using PHP 5.1.2 or PHP 4.4.4 on a domain-by-domain basis. Unfortunately, you may be out of luck with regards to --with-imap on the default DreamHost PHP installs. I just did a phpinfo() dump on one of my domains running PHP 5.1.2 with the following results;

[color=#0000CC]’./configure’ ‘–prefix=/usr/local/php5’ ‘–enable-fastcgi’ ‘–with-mysql=/usr’ ‘–enable-calendar’ ‘–enable-force-cgi-redirect’ ‘–with-config-file-path=/etc/php5/cgi’ ‘–enable-trans-sid’ ‘–with-gd’ ‘–with-xml’ ‘–with-xsl’ ‘–with-ttf=/usr’ ‘–with-freetype-dir=/usr’ ‘–enable-exif’ ‘–with-xslt’ ‘–with-xslt-sablot=/usr’ ‘–with-dom-xslt=/usr’ ‘–with-jpeg-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-png-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-zlib-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-pdo-mysql’ ‘–enable-ftp’ ‘–with-curl=/usr’ ‘–with-pspell=/usr’ ‘–enable-mbstring’ ‘–with-mcrypt’ ‘–with-mysqli’ ‘–with-openssl=/usr’ ‘–with-gettext’[/color]

I don’t see any ‘–with-imap’ in there :frowning: . I have not had a chance to check a PHP 4.4.4 yet, but I suspect the results will be similar.

You can compile and install a custom PHP executable for your domain, so a solution might lie there, but it is a fairly involved procedure.

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Installing_PHP4
http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Installing_PHP5

Edit: I just checked a domain set to run PHP 4.4.4 and, as I suspected, still no ‘–with-imap’

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

While I am not familiar with Dwmail, I can answer some of your question about Dreamhost software and capabilities:

Dreamhost runs PHP version 4.4.2, 4.4.4, and 5.1.2 on their various servers- you can select whether to run PHP version 4 or version 5 “pre-installed” php.cgi versions for each domain hosted.

These pre-compiled versions of PHP vary somewhat in the modules installed. You can inspect the modules available in each installation from this Dreamhost Wiki article on PHP module configuration at Dreamhost.

Should you need additional modules, and if you are technically proficient with *nix shell operations and PHP, Dreamhost allows you to install your own “custom” version of PHP to provide whatever functionality you require.

The custom Dreamhost Control Panel does allow you to establish quotas per user and per mail account (whole account, not just inbox).

Dreamhost has several versions of MySQL installed - My servers are running 5.0.24 and 4.1.16 - Dreamhost has stated that all new MySQL database will be using MySQL 5.

While you have not specified exactly what “outbound connections” you are concerned about, DH allows outbound email., telnet, ssh, rsync, ftp, etc. - outbound email is limited to 100 or 200 emails per hour per user (depending on which method is used for sending), though DH hosted mailman mailing list are not so limited.

Again, without specifics of what you have in mind, a static IP or a dedicated server may or may not “fix” any “blocking” - you should contact DH Sales directly for precise and authoritative info on that.

–rlparker

Gee, I didn’t see that wiki article, it could have saved me some time :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Hi, log in panel and you can choose to use php 5 or php 4 for your website cheers

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on dreamhost. Type promo code: [color=#CC0000]97MONEY[/color] when you sign up a plan.

That is correct, unfortunately this information does nothing to answer the original posters questions regarding the PHP modules available at DreamHost. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mark

It was a little hard to find even if you knew it was there. :wink:

They hired more support help.
Tip me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999[/color]=$99.99 Off