Ok. There were multiple issue, here is the deal.
Subdomains were not working at all.
Support was great and helped me with some ideas. I needed to get redirects working so my first attempt was to just pure subdomain and redirect, after reading about .htaccess and taking advice from support on how to code for redirecting it seemed like the logical choice. .htaccess would not work correctly with WP as if you change the permalink structure it overwrote .htaccess.
Support was helping me along until they suggested that I drop .htaccess down. I did and none of my WP links work, tried to reach them again for support nothing. Site was non functional, had to fix it. Which I did. It took 2 days, without support getting back to me.
My problem is if you are going to give support, warn or at least give full advice through, don’t tell someone how to do it and if things go wrong leave them to figure out.
Anyways .htacess wouldn’t accept all my redirects, plus I had to re-write and protect the WP code before I put my redirects in (problem 1 resolution). Redirect URLS needed to be in quotes (problem 2 resolution). Wrong redirect coding caused an Internal Server error and domain to basically be non-existant (problem 3 resolution).
Hence that is why I was contacting support, not for a 3rd part softwar problem or how to program my site, it was because the subdomain was kicking back internal errors and sayingthey didn’t exist. All I needed was someone to say it’s your .htaccess, it’s coded wrong. instead I found out myself.