Doctype?

design

I am having issues with a website of mine.
is doctype really necessary? and when do you know which doctype to use?

also, how do you change the scroll bar color in FireFox?
also, Firefox is not registering any of the CSS that is embeded into the pages.

thanks

David.

is doctype really necessary? and when do you know which doctype to use?

If you’re interested in writing valid HTML, then yes, it’s necessary. Use whichever is appropriate for the version of HTML you’re writing. XHTML is the current recommendation, and has been since 2000, but if you don’t know, you’re probably using some form of HTML 4.1. I’d personally recommend learning more about HTML and writing valid code.

also, how do you change the scroll bar color in FireFox?

You don’t, and this is a good thing. Keep your design to the page itself, don’t mess with your viewer’s UI elements (scrollbars, status bar, mouse pointers, etc).

also, Firefox is not registering any of the CSS that is embeded into the pages.

The first thing to do is make sure your HTML and CSS are both valid, then troubleshoot from there.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Some time ago, I wrote an article about DOCTYPES that may be helpful to you: http://jessey.net/simon/articles/009.html

I recommend learning XHTML 1.0 Strict if you are fully committed to using CSS. It is a good, disciplined markup language that can be served as text/html.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

The only problem I found with firefox, is the use of background color and background image in the body.
The work around I found for the time being is to include html in your css code.
So it would be:
html, body { background-color: #0000FF; background-image: url (’/folder/image.jpg’); }
Silk

That is not a Firefox problem. It is a consequence of using XHTML instead of HTML. The BODY is a rather special and peculiar element that is unqiue to regular HTML. Since there is no analog in XML, there is no analog in XHTML either. Therefore, you need to style the HTML element when working with XHTML.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog