Docker and DreamCompute

dreamcompute

Hi, just recently started using the DreamCompute and was wondering if it is possible to use Docker with it?

According to a quick search it seems that is possible: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Docker

but is that something that a normal user can do or it needs to be done by Dreamhost?

We don’t have the docker driver enabled in our Nova deployment and it’s not something that you can do as a user.

However, you can install docker on an instance. Here are instructions for Ubuntu and CentOS.

OK. Thank you Justin.

I will try with a normal docker installation, then.

I have a bit of a suggestion based off of this that I think would increase the uptake of DreamCloud. Other cloud providers have already started doing this sort of thing, such as AWS.

The idea is to have a Docker cloud built on-top of DreamCompute and DreamObjects using something like Deis (http://docs.deis.io/en/latest/) to provide a really nice workflow. This would allow you to push both Heroku style applications and Docker containers into a Git repository and for it to be automatically deployed to your own DreamCloud hosts.

Essentially I see it working like this: (Please note that Deis is not multi-tenant and would need to be modified to suit this)

The control plane for Deis is installed as a shared DreamHost service within the standard DreamHost panel. This would provide each user with a private Git repository that they can push projects to. The user would need to provide a DreamObjects bucket in order to push built Docker containers to (This could be automatically created upon first use) and a DreamCompute account. The user would configure the hosts that they want to use on their DreamCompute account. (E.g. 2x 1vCPU / 1GB hosts with 12GB of storage each, spread across two availability zones) These instances would be automatically managed and restarted by the DreamHost Docker Cloud service.

Upon the user pushing a new application to the Git endpoint, Deis would automatically build the project and deploy it to the user’s DreamCompute instances. The user can then scale these as required. (E.g. One server per availability zone.) DreamHost would have to provide a shared load balancer service that could connect to the instances via a new DreamCloud network and therefore only requiring private IP addresses. The user could then configure a CNAME to the load balancer’s endpoint which could be automatically picked up by the load balancer through the DreamHost panel and routed to the correct instances / application.

So what does this require from DreamHost ?

Thanks,
-Andrew.

Heroku-style deploys for DreamCloud, nice!

Why would there need to be multi-tenant modifications, couldn’t this be setup for a single customer’s cluster of DreamCloud instances?

It could certainly be setup per customer, but a PaaS setup would typically use a shared management setup for efficiency reasons.

You could also set it up yourself in your own cluster, but that isn’t very PasS.

Are there any plans to have a standard image that includes Docker off the shelf?
(Not that it’s a long process to install it, but it makes the support clearer)

That was 1.5 years ago. Any new developments now in May 2017?

hi @rhand, so much has chanced in 1.5 years on the docker/container world that the original question doesn’t really have a simple answer. The Docker integration mentioned in the original question is deprecated upstream in OpenStack, so it won’t be enabled on DreamCompute.
On the other hand, there is a CoreOS image in DreamCompute that was not available at the time.

So I would suggest to open a new thread to clarify what your exact needs are and we’ll try to give you an answer.

I’m voicing my support for a VM image with Docker pre-installed.

DigitalOcean has offered this since late 2013: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-the-digitalocean-docker-application

Let’s close this thread since so much time has passed and things have changed all around.

If you need Docker, please be specific about why you need Docker, what benefits you’re expecting to see. Since maintaining custom images is quite costly, and installing Docker is almost trivial nowadays, the team will want to see specific use cases to evaluate the benefits for customers.