Do you support multi-domains for a single host?

Hi,

I’m wondering if Dreamhost supports several domain names for one single host. See, right now I have three different hosting accounts elsewhere (personal blog, small company site, and sister’s art galery). With all the space and bandwidth DH offers, I’d be glad to move all of this to one single host if possible. The problem is, I’m not much of an expert in DNS stuff, so I don’t know if it’s possible to host the three sites and their respective domain names with DH.

Basically, having one domain pointing to a directory, the second domain pointing to another directory, and the third domain pointing to yet a third directory. Without any fancy iframes or similar things.

Feedback much appreciated.

Yes, you can host unlimited domains in one account here. It means, you can register and host unlimited domains in DH. The price for a domain is $9.95 per year. All the hosting plans come with a free lifetime domain name. If you use promo code, you can have 3 extra lifetime domain names.

If your domains are registered elsewhere, you can also host them here by modifying the DNS. If you are not sure how to modify DNS and host them here, you can refer to this article and everything will become handy.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS_-_Viewing_site_before_DNS_change

In DH, you can create unlimited FTP users. You can host domains in one FTP user or among different users. For example, you can have domain1 hosted with user1 and files will go to /home/user1/domain1. You can have domain2 hosted with user1 and files will go to /home/user1/domain2. You can also have domain3 hosted with user2 and files go to /home/user2/domain3. Isn’t it what you are looking for :slight_smile:

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Thanks for the tips (and the promo code!). However, I don’t understand the last bit about FTP and whatnot. See, all those sites I mentioned are admin’d by me, so I won’t be creating different user accounts, though it’s good to know that it’s possible to do so.

What I really want to know, is if I can set something like michael.com to point to /home/myaccount/michael and jessica.com to /home/myaccount/jessica, and make all this work seamlessly to the users without forwards and iframes. And if so, how? I have looked into the DH wiki, but I can’t seem to find any information on how to do this. Maybe that stuff about “A Names”, but since I’m not knowledgable about DNS I’m not sure.

Yes, you can put the directories wherever you want, you set that in the control panel.

For instance, all my sites are under /home/kyleslat/sites/

For 30% more diskspace, 30% more bandwidth, and $40 off use promo code [color=#CC0000]THEFULLMONTY[/color]

Web Design and Development

I think it’s worth making clear to you that we’re all on shared web hosting, which means that there are many, many people on the same physical server using the Apache Virtual Host feature to have this same physical host used for many, many different websites. The way Dreamhost has this configured, we can many domains and subdomains to our hosting account. For each one, we configure a user and a directory to be the web root directory for that site.

Some people have one user and many sites. Some people configure many different users under their account with one site per user. Some people create usernames and give them to their relatives to use to host their sites. There are many options.

I’m not sure what techniques you’re talking about here, but I’m hoping that my explanation above gives you enough insight into how things work here at Dreamhost and in the wonderful world of Apache Virtual Hosting.

BTW, for the record, you don’t have to pay anything extra to host multiple domains here, you just have to pay if you want to register more than one domain. Also note that dreamhoster.com subdomains are free and any subdomain of any main domain that you purchase is also free!

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Thanks for the help.