Do I need to add a new user for every new domain I manage?

Hello, I have a VPS basic hosting plan and are very new to web development.

Everything was smooth at first, I bought my first domain the same time as my hosting plan and shortly after submitting the order my first domain was being hosted on my VPS under a SFTP user that was named using a combination of my name and random numbers. I didn’t think much of this because it was all automatically done for me.

However, now when I bought and added a second domain to my account, it did not automatically add hosting to the new domain and when I tried to fully host the domain on my panel everything made sense on the menu apart from the fact that it recommended I “add a new user” and put it on a shared server instead of my VPS when hosting the second domain but I don’t understand why I need to add a new user and not host it on my VPS.

{CONTEXT}: The first and second domains are personal blogs that only I (The Account Owner) will be managing. In the future I am considering maybe web developing for others or reselling websites. I’m assuming only then would the “user” feature make sense for me to use.

ALSO: I’m very confused on the user types, the one that was automatically made for me on the first domain is SFTP type user, but when adding a new user there is also options to create a FTP and shell type users. What does all this mean???

Can I just continue with the 1 user that was made for me when I signed up and host them both on the VPS machine? If so, do I keep it a SFTP type user or should I change the user type to something else.

ALL ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!strong text

No, you shouldn’t have to add a new user for every domain. Similarly, a VPS Basic host should be able to host many sites simultaneously.

The “Create New User (Recommended)” control is a popup menu, which should allow you to select an existing user for hosting a domain.

Thanks for the info. Why is it recommended and what user type should I be using? SFTP, FTP, or shell?

1 Like

DH recommend that each domain have a separate user for security:

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/214916918-Keeping-your-website-secure

When multiple domains are hosted under a single user, then when one domain is hacked, the other domains are trivially to hack too. Compartmentalizing each domain in a separate user protects against this domino effect. As you note, this compartmentalizing is also useful for organizing company/group access, etc.

Of course, it is inconvenient to put every single website under a new user, so often a balance is struck.

SFTP, FTP, or shell?

FTP is insecure, so don’t use it. Use SFTP unless you want/need command-line access to the shell with SSH. More details at:

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402199390996-Difference-between-SFTP-and-Shell-users

Thanks so much this cleared it up!

1 Like

It cleared my concerns very clearly. Thanks for logical answer

exactly it clear all the things

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.