Dns

can i have my custom dns with shared hosting like,

dn1.dreamhost.com change to www.mydomain.com
dn2.dreamhost.com change to www.mydomain.com

or something like that?

I’m Glad to be Hosted /w DH
PROMOCODE: [color=#CC0000]IM4GIVEN[/color] and get $97 of discount. :wink:

and where do i (dns server) check www.yourdomain.com ?
Use dns on the same domain you use is a bad idea.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

NS1.DREAMHOST.COM -> NS1.MYDOMAIN.NET
NS1.DREAMHOST.COM -> NS2.MYDOMAIN.NET

Something like that… or do i need to change my hosting plan.

Do you actually want to run a DNS server or do you just want the nameservers for some domain to look like “NS1.MYDOMAIN.NET” and “NS2.MYDOMAIN.NET” but point to the DreamHost nameservers?

Oh, and btw, you should check out all the other forums on this board. We’re supposed to try to post topics that are relevant to each board rather than just post to this first one. the General Troubleshooting one is very good for topics like this, for instance!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

yes something like that… everything are still hosted with dreamhost.

Ummm. So you mean using the DreamHost nameservers? In other words, you don’t want to run your own nameservers on DreamHost hosting, right?

Anyway, read this thread over on webhostingtalk.

That thread does cast some doubt about the value of doing such a thing, btw.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Yes, it is possible. Firstly, go to ‘Manage Domain’ in the web panel and click ‘DNS’ under the domain you want to change. Secondly, add three custom DNS records as follow.

ns1 CNAME ns1.dreamhost.com.
ns2 CNAME ns2.dreamhost.com.
ns3 CNAME ns3.dreamhost.com.

Thridly, wait a few hours before changing the nameserver of your domain to ns1.[your domain], ns2.[your domain] and ns3.[your domain] on the same page. Changes should be seen within 24 hours.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Check Out DreamHost Promo Codes

Just wondering if you got it working?

I try to change my DNS

but i keep getting this when i do a look up

ns3.dreamhost.com. [66.33.216.216] [TTL=14400]
ns1.MYSITE.com. [66.33.206.206] [TTL=14400]
ns1.dreamhost.com. [66.33.206.206] [TTL=14400]
ns2.dreamhost.com. [208.96.10.221] [TTL=14400]
ns2.MYSITE.com. [208.96.10.221] [TTL=14400]
ns3.MYSITE.com. [66.33.216.216] [TTL=14400]

CNAME only “masks” the DNS server’s address but it does not replace it. A CNAME record will send the location of the “masked” server’s address (in this case, dreamhost’s namesever) to the browser when it request for the alias. Alteratively, it is possible to use a A record to point the alias to the nameserver’s ip. One major disadvantage is that the request will fail if dreamhost changes its nameserver ip. This method also do not work well as it is possible to trace back to dreamhost’s nameserver using it’s ip address. The main reason to mask the nameserver despite all this is to have a good-looking page when someone does a WHOIS check.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Check Out DreamHost Promo Codes