DNS update time?

I registered with domainmonger and am transfering over here, Domainmonger says 24-48 hour wait for names list updates, its been about 72 i was wondering does the weekend effect these times or are those tasks typically automated?

if you wish to talk Jeeps [b]I Understand[/b]

They should be completely automated (they are from our end, and should be with most registrars).

I’d definitely recommend contacting tech support … 3 days wasn’t unheard of a few years ago, but any more even 2 days should be fairly uncommon.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Well TY Jeff, since your a admin on the inside can you tell if I dropped the ball somewhere with you guys? I do not want to point fingers at them until I have good confidence I have done my part, and I am a newbie to the whole domain registration and hosting concept.

TIA

EDIT: My domain is jeepwrangler.info and I registered for hosting with you guys on 12/5/01.

if you wish to talk Jeeps [b]I Understand[/b]

It’s all automatic.

A domain name server asks the root COM dns server where to find information on yourdomain.com, then goes to the dns server for yourdomain.com to figure out the IP or MX for your domain and subdomains.

Both of those servers have “time to live” settings. The user’s DNS box probably will cache the data, and use the cached version for the time specified.

Nothing says the user’s DNS has to cache at all. Nothing says that the user’s DNS cannot decide to wait 30 days, even if the TTL was specified as 48 hours.

When you change information with your domain registrar, they pass the information to network solutions, who updates their database every day in the late afternoon. So if someone changes their information at 5 PM on Monday, it doesn’t get updated until Tuesday afternoon, and that’s when the first traffic starts dripping in. But someone who visited your old site on Tuesday at 3 PM will get the old data, and so will everyone else who uses that DNS box until Thursday about 3 PM.

Some remote corners of the internet will take a month to find their way to the new location of your website, because they use obsolete DNS information. And there is nothing you, or Dreamhost, or Network Solutions can do about it.

Hrm. I wasn’t able to find that domain in our system - are you sure you set it up on this end? Without knowing your NDN ID and other info I couldn’t tell for sure, but there definitely doesn’t seem to be a domain by that name in our database.

You should definitely contact support directly, though, to get this resolved. This board really isn’t geared toward support queries, but if you send a message to them I promise they’ll take good care of you (and quickly!). :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

this appears to be setup right at the servers for info.

jazz [~]% dig info ns

; <<>> DiG 9.2.0 <<>> info ns
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6613
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;info. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
info. 172800 IN NS TLD2.NOMINUM.COM.
info. 172800 IN NS TLD1.NOMINUM.COM.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
TLD1.NOMINUM.COM. 172800 IN A 198.133.199.100
TLD2.NOMINUM.COM. 172800 IN A 192.100.59.100

jazz [~]% dig jeepwrangler.info ns @TLD1.NOMINUM.COM.

; <<>> DiG 9.2.0 <<>> jeepwrangler.info ns @TLD1.NOMINUM.COM.
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 60131
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;jeepwrangler.info. IN NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
jeepwrangler.info. 86400 IN NS ns.newdream.net.
jeepwrangler.info. 86400 IN NS ns2.newdream.net.
jeepwrangler.info. 86400 IN NS ns3.newdream.net.

;; Query time: 23 msec
;; SERVER: 198.133.199.100#53(TLD1.NOMINUM.COM.)
;; WHEN: Mon Dec 10 19:00:18 2001
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 100

however it’s not setup on our nameservers:

jazz [~]% dig jeepwrangler.info ns @ns.newdream.net

; <<>> DiG 9.2.0 <<>> jeepwrangler.info ns @ns.newdream.net
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 34291
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;jeepwrangler.info. IN NS

;; Query time: 58 msec
;; SERVER: 207.155.127.155#53(ns.newdream.net)
;; WHEN: Mon Dec 10 19:00:29 2001
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 35

I don’t find any domains with the name jeepwrangler.anything in our system, so you may want to make sure it got added properly. Once you’ve added it to your account, it should start working within 24 / 48 hours, but most likely much sooner.