DNS Subdomain

Ok so I’m trying to host just a subdomain of another site with dreamhost. When I try to add the subdomain wiki.xxxxxx.com I get “you do not have permission to add to xxxxxx.com

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance.

You have to add the domain first before it will let you add subdomains. You can delete hosting for the domain after you add the domain - but don’t delete the domain, just delete the hosting.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Ok there is the problem then. The subdomain is part of a domain hosted elsewhere. I only want to host the subdomain on Dreamhost and not the entire domain. Is there anyway I can accomplish this? Would I first need to point the A and CNAME records to dreamhost for the subdomain and then create the subdomain on dreamhost?

Thanks in advance

You don’t have to change the DNS records for the domain at all. It will still be pointed at your main host and the NS records for your domain will be pointed at your main host so the DNS records over at DreamHost are basically unused and irrelevant. The only important thing is getting the DreamHost hosting system to think you have ownership of the domain and are hosting the subdomain here.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Ok so can you just walk me thru this?

1. I add a new domain xxxxx.com
  2. I add the sub domain wiki.xxxxx.com

So now I have created the subdomain and then how would the nameservers on the host I’m using for xxxxx.com know to forward requests to wiki.xxxxx.com?

Sorry think my brain is mush today.

In the DreamHost panel in “Domains>Manage Domains”, find the subdomain you created and click on the “DNS” link to get a page that tells you the IP address of the subdomain.

On the other host, add an “A” record for “wiki” to the DNS for xxxx.com. If you want, you could also add a “www.wiki” entry.

BTW, this is what I’ve done for a domain of mine in order to take advantage of the one-click installs for mediawiki here at dreamhost.

Finally, for cleanness, don’t forget to delete hosting for xxx.com on DreamHost. Don’t delete the domain, just delete the hosting. Let me know if you can’t find the button to do this.

Awesome, thank you so much for the help, it was greatly appreciated!!

Anytime! Let me know if you have any trouble!

Ok one last thing I got the subdomain remapped, but I created a mysql.xxxx.com as well but not sure where I find the dns info for this so I can have the host of the xxx.com domain point to the mysql subdomain. Where can I find this info?

Thanks again.

In the DreamHost control panel under “Domains>Manage Domains” click on the DNS link for the primary domain (the one you have unhosted). This will take you to the DNS info page for the domain. At the bottom you’ll see all DNS entries for the domain and all subdomains. sql.yourdomain.tld should be listed there.

Hey - thanks for this information - it is exactly what I am trying to do as well.

My only question now is how to delete hosting for xxx.com without deleting the domain? I can’t find the button to do this as you mentioned…

Thanks!

In the “Domains>Manage Domains” panel, there’s a table of all your domains and subdomains. The third column in this table is labeled “Web Hosting”. There should be two buttons in this column for every domain and subdomain: “Edit” and “Delete”. This “Delete” button will delete hosting for the domain.

Note that there is a different delete button with a bigger red X in the last column. DO NOT CLICK THIS ONE. It will delete the domain/subdomain from the panel completely.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Thanks! That was too easy… :slight_smile:

Yay! \o/

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts