DNS Settings: Use CNAME?

wordpress

I’m building a web site in Wordpress, and I’d like to be able to configure the site on the server before redirecting the domain name from the old site to the new DreamHost site. I’ve got other domain names I’m not using, so I’m thinking of pointing one of those domain names to the directory while I set everything up. Since the domain name I’m pointing is not the same name as the directory I’m working in (i.e. the completed site will be “domainname.com” but the temporary domain is “otherdomainname.com”), I’m not sure how to configure the DNS settings.

Should I use the CNAME, or is there a better way to do this?

If I understand your situation correctly, you will not need to make any changes to your DNS, other than directing them to ns1.dreamhost.com etc. if the domain has not been transferred to DreamHost.

You simply need to tell Apache to serve the site from a directory other than the default. You can do this by changing the ‘Web Directory:’ option when adding otherdomainname.com to the DreamHost system in the panel at Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain / Sub-Domain.

Another option is not to use your otherdomainname.com, but create a free dreamhosters.com sub-domain and set it to mirror the domain you are working on. See the wiki article below;

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/DNS_-_Viewing_site_before_DNS_change

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Oh, thank you! That’s perfect!
I’m going to use the second option, so I don’t have to deal with redirecting my own domain name when I’m done.