Dns question

How do I have DNS point “dev.mydomain.com” to my home machine (which has a static IP address)? I’m sure this is simple but wasn’t sure how.

If that one was easy, here’s a harder question: How do I configure apache on my machine at home to mimic dreamhost’s environment as much as possible? I host a few domains, so I want to be able to have a mirror of each on “dev” subdomain of each.

In the DNS section of the domain in questions, create an A record pointing ‘dev’ to your IP address.

You don’t need to do much with your own Apache installation short of using the same version (1.3 or 2.0), and even that isn’t really important for most uses. More importantly, be sure you’re running close to the same versions of other software as Dreamhost uses (eg, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Rails, whatever) and that you have all your required modules/libraries available in both places.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

There is an Wiki Article. That will help you with this. Not sure what platform you’re running but if it’s Linux or Mac there’s scripts there that you can use to keep the DNS record up-to-date if/when you IP address changes.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Ok, so I just put the IP address in the “Value:” field? Sorry, yeah that’s easy if that’s it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Well, I guess what I was mostly referring to was how to set it to do virtual domains, so I don’t have all my domains sharing a single directory structure. But there are other issues such as, such as that a cgi runs as the user rather than as “nobody” as it does on my default apache install. And probably a ton of minor settings that you could put in your httpd.conf to make things similar.

Is there a web page / wiki thing where they document all the important things about dreamhost’s configuration that are different from that of a typical/default apache installation?

I don’t think DH’s Apache config is documented publically anywhere, although it would be helpful at times.

For help setting up Apache VirtualHosts, see the documentation.

If you want CGI to run as you rather than the Apache user, you’ll need to use suEXEC. The only reason you’ll need this is if you need to write to the filesystem, and you can do this a whole lot easier by just making the necessary files/directories writable by the Apache user on your development setup. If it works in this configuration at home, it will work under suexec on the DH server.

That’s really about it. I do my development using the stock Apache 1.3 that comes with OS X, with only the addition of PHP5 and FastCGI. I don’t even bother using PHP-CGI at home; code written for a non-restricted mod_php environment (unlike the one at DH) will usually run under CGI just fine (I have yet to see anything break, anyway).

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.