DNS propagating taking too long - over 5 days?

Anyone know what is going on with this? I changed the DNS records on Friday 8-10-07 for my domain cssites.com to point to Dreamhost’s servers.

It is now Wednesday 8-15-07 and, using my laptop, it is still pulling data from the old server.

What is strange is, according to DNStools, it shows that the DNS has propagated and other people who have checked, it is showing up on the Dreamhost’s servers. Also I can reach the new server from my desktop system but not from my laptop.

I have cable internet via Charter that is set up on a wireless router so I can get the wireless internet using the laptop. So that being said, I would think that the ip address that I use when accessing the internet would be the same for the desktop and laptop, wouldn’t it?

So why can’t I access the correct server with both computers? I have cleared the cache and all internet history from my laptop, so I know that it isn’t pulling old data.

Any ideas? Thanks! :slight_smile:

~ Jennifer McGroary ~

There is another cache called for DNS Resolver cache for Windows computers.

Open a Command Prompt window, and enter the command to flush the DNS cache. Then enter the command to look up the address for cssites.com - do this on both computers and make sure the name server being used is the same. In the example below, nslookup is telling me my name server is ns1.mindspring.com

The session will look like:

[code]C:\Documents and Settings\User>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>nslookup cssites.com
Server: ns1.mindspring.com
Address: 207.69.188.185

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: cssites.com
Address: 208.113.181.173

C:\Documents and Settings\User>nslookup 208.113.181.173
Server: ns1.mindspring.com
Address: 207.69.188.185

Name: apache2-ugly.drpepper.dreamhost.com
Address: 208.113.181.173[/code]

:cool: openvein.org -//- One-time [color=#6600CC]$50.00 discount[/color] on [color=#0000CC]DreamHost[/color] plans: Use ATROPOS7

Awesome! Thanks Atropos7.
Looks like it is just taking longer than I’d like for the DNS to propagate properly to my neck of the woods. (still directed to the old server when I checked.)

Good command prompts to know though. Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

~ Jennifer McGroary ~

Saturday 18th of August I registered a new domain. Now, August 22, it is still not visible in my browser.
Flushed the dns cache in windows and all, it is now taking 5 days to propagate the DNS. Email isn’t working either.
Any thoughts?

If you post your domain name, some of us can help research your DNS status. :wink:

–rlparker

Also, you should make sure that you added hosting for the domain. It’s easy to make the mistake of registering the domain but neglecting to add it to your DreamHost hosting account.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Domain is fitzrightreport.com

Hosting is included, (If not I just bought a $197 domain registration).

Thanks!

DNStool reports that the nameservers are set correctly for Dreamhost, so that does not look to be the problem, and the record was created on the 18th, so DNS should have updated by now. There are, however, problems:

Report rom DNSstuff.com.

Hosting is included in the package you describe paying for but, as lensman mentioned, have you confirmed that the domain is listed as “hosted” in the Control Panel?

Go to Control Panel -> Domains -> Manage Domains screen, and confirm that “fitzrightreport.comis listed (as a “fully hosted” domain, I assume).

If it is not you will need to “add” it there in order for the site to be served. If it is there, and is listed as fully hosted", you will need to contact Support, as something may need their attention.

You might also try clicking the “edit” button for the domain and then “saving” it without actually editing anything - this should “regenerate” the domain set-up step, and may “bring it back to life” if some small borkage has occurred.

Let us know what the situation is, or if you have any other questions. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

That is a good point, and is something that does happen from time to time. Nice catch! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Wasn’t there some borkage on some domains this past weekend due to the DNS problems? I remember being advised to regenerate the DNS setup on my domains by doing exactly the steps you indicate above!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Yes, I believe you are correct about that. :wink:

I’ve found that process is a good “DIY” type of fix that can sometimes repair a myriad of setup/configuration issues, and since it only takes about a minute to do it, and about another few minutes (maybe 30 or so) for the change to take effect, it is usually my “first try” at fixing a misbehaving domain. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

After confirming Fitzrightreport.com was listed as fully hosted, I checked the DNS records and got the following message:

We currently have no “zone” file for fitzrightreport.com, and so you cannot modify DNS.

Are you sure you have this domain hosted with us? (This page won’t do anything unless fitzrightreport.com’s nameservers are set to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost.com.)

Nonetheless, we’ll try and create one now. Please try reloading this page in a couple of minutes. Sorry for the delay!

After reading that I tried to edit the domain as you suggested and saved it without changing anything.
Again to DNS and now the correct nameservers were showing and the above message is gone.

I hope tomorrow things will be allright.

Thanks for the help!

[quote]After confirming Fitzrightreport.com was listed as fully hosted, I checked the DNS records and got the following message … After reading that I tried to edit the domain as you suggested and saved it without changing anything.
Again to DNS and now the correct nameservers were showing and the above message is gone.[/quote]
Woot! Looks like you got it nailed, as I can now see your domain via a browser at fitzrightreport.com. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reporting the results of the attempted DNS edit. That must be a “Control Panel Enhancement” that is fairly recent, as I’ve never seen the “Nonetheless, we’ll try and create one now. Please try reloading this page in a couple of minutes. Sorry for the delay!” message before.

The " ‘edit’ the domain, then ‘save’ without changing anything" process should do the same thing, but it is nice to see that they added that “self-repair” option to the DNS settings section of the panel!

–rlparker

Totally happy now, MySQL database created, textpattern installed, ready to rock.

Thanks again.

Good deal! I really glad you have everything working. :slight_smile:

–rlparker