DNS management

For domains registered directly with dreamhost, is there a tool to set arbitrary DNS entries (CNAME, A) that don’t directly point to dreamhost services?

If not, is it safe to change where your authoritative DNS and mock up the the panel-generated info on your new DNS host?

You can add additional DNS records (A, CNAME, or MX) in the Panel under Domains->DNS.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

That link doesn’t work for me, and I have no “DNS” choice under Domains – possibly some kind of add-on?

You must be on the $10/month plan. After a quick look at DH’s service level comparison, I see that one doesn’t allow DNS modification. Any service level above that does.

If you don’t have the appropriate plan, you can ask support to set up records for you.

(This makes me wonder why they don’t just let everyone use the DNS panel directly, since DNS must be about the cheapest service to provide.)

This makes me wonder why they don’t just let everyone use the DNS panel directly, since DNS must be about the cheapest service to provide.

Simple. Additional services provide an incentive for users to upgrade their service level. It was even an incentive for me, as I also have a couple other hosts I need DNS records for.

That said, they do give you a surprising number of features at the $10/month level.