DNS How-to

I just signed up and have my domain name registered with another place. So, now how do I point my DNS entries to the Dreamhost’s servers? What is the IP address for my domain and how do I find out?

G’day, firus.
I have never had to do this, but I think you just need to log into your domain registrar and change the DNS settings from there - point your domain’s DNS settings to DreamHost’s servers:
ns1.dreamhost.com: 66.33.206.206
ns2.dreamhost.com: 66.201.54.66
ns3.dreamhost.com: 66.33.216.216
All the best,
marsbar

ya, that’s what I was afraid of. The registrar will not allow that by the looks of it. Do we not get an IP address from Dreamhost, if so, I could point the DNS records to that. I just don’t know how to find out what it is…

Hmm… your domain registrar may have “locked” your domain name for some reason. Contact your domain registrar, and ask them how you can change the DNS information for your domain.

Cheers,
marsbar

I assume you’re on a shared server (one of the regular packages that Dreamhost offers). That means your web site doesn’t have a static IP address you can point to (unless you want to pay extra for the service).

Marsbar is right. You need to talk to your registrar and get them to unlock your domain so you can point to the DH nameservers or you’ll need to get them to unlock it so you can transfer to another registrar who will let you use your property as you see fit. Good luck!