DNS forwords

i need to forword say office.mydomain.com to say 123.456.789.123 or myoffice.ath.cx i need to be able to access any port with it. now i tried using a subdomain with a redirect, but its not allowing me to access any port other then 80. any suggestions on what to do. i looked at the DNS page but i have no clue what im doing over there

From Manage Domains, click on the DNS link next to your domain name and add an A record for office.domain.com with an IP address of 123.456.789.123

-Scott

You need to create an A-Record for the parent domain pointing to the required IP address.

Firstly, remove the sub-domain you added to the system and wait for the DNS information for that sub-domain to be removed from the system. If the system created A-Records for the sub-domain ‘office’ still exist you will be unable to create your own A-Record with the same name. You can confirm that these A-Records have been removed from the system by going to Domains -> Manage Domains, clicking on the small DNS link and checking the ‘non-editable DNS records’.

Once you have confirmed that the system generated A-Records for the sub-domain are no longer there you can add your own A-Record in the same panel section.

Name: office
Type: A
Value: 123.456.789.123

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

thank you that solved my problem. now how can i go about deleting the DNS entry thats in there? thanks in advance :smiley:

You mean the ones that were created when you added the sub-domain previously?

If you have deleted the sub-domain, the related DNS records should be automatically removed by the system. It can take a little while for this to happen and occasionally they seem to get ‘stuck’. If the records are still there after a few hours, it might be necessary to lodge a support request outlining the problem and they will run a manual DNS update on the domain.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains.

Click “dns” beside your domain name. You will see a list of records you created before. simply click on “x” to delete them.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

If the A-Records are related to the sub-domain that he recently added and removed, he will not be able to delete them this way because they will be in the ‘Non-editable records’ section.

Mark