DNS failure

url in question: http://tradersbarandgrill.biz

I changed my dns to ns1.dreamhost.com (and ns2, ns3) over 24 hours ago. For some reason, I’m still getting to the old site (hosted at merr.com).

The registrar is network solutions.

The strange thing is, when I use the tools at dnsstuff.com, they are all reporting the correct DNS info, so I don’t understand why I’m still getting the old site.

In addition, some of the tools are saying that ns?.dreamhost.com is failing (such as the DNS lookup tool on the A record).

Am I just being impatient for the DNS to propigate? Traceroutes are hitting the correct place, but my browser isn’t (or my ftp tools).

Hope this isn’t to confusing. Thanks.

It’s because DNS takes time to propagate. ISPs cache DNS on their servers and pull updates every x amount of times. Also DNS is usually cached on your local machine to in something called a host file.

Btw, the site works fine here:
; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> tradersbarandgrill.biz
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 42158
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;tradersbarandgrill.biz. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
tradersbarandgrill.biz. 14302 IN A 208.97.130.224

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
tradersbarandgrill.biz. 14302 IN NS ns2.dreamhost.com.
tradersbarandgrill.biz. 14302 IN NS ns3.dreamhost.com.
tradersbarandgrill.biz. 14302 IN NS ns1.dreamhost.com.

;; Query time: 25 msec
;; SERVER: 130.111.228.55#53(130.111.228.55)
;; WHEN: Sun Jan 29 13:06:27 2006
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 123

digitalrundown.com
Promo Code: WJD97 - $97.00 off any new DreamHost plan (except month-month payments).

Is there a way to get the dns uncached in my local host?

Another strange thing is, I can go to subdomains that I set up at DH, like old.tradersbarandgrill.biz, but I can’t get to the main url without it going to the old host.

Thanks for the quick reply,
-Mike

There are actually a number of places where DNS caching could be taking place, including your computer, your modem/router (if it is acting as a DNS relay) or your ISPs DNS servers.

If you are running Windows and wish to clear its DNS cache, use the command ipconfig /flushdns

The method of clearing the DNS cache on your modem/router will vary depending on the unit. It might be easier just to restart the device.

As for your ISPs DNS cache; Unfortunately, you have no control over this.

Also, as mentioned above, the issue you are seeing may not be caused by caching at all. It could be that the DNS for your domain has not fully propagated yet.

Mark

Save $50 on DreamHost hosting using promo code “SAVEFIFTY” ( DreamHost Promo Code )

setup a subdomain that is a mirror of the new live site. On the old site, make it redirect to the subdomain. You may want to block search engines from indexing it until you turn the subdomain back off.