DNS consfuse

Hello everybody,

I 'd like to open an account with DH and i need to understand something before.
For now I 'd like simply to host few domains with DH and keep the registrations where they are.
The company where I have register and host few domains says that I can not edit the name server
but only the A, MX and CNAME ,
Do you think it will works?
There is some tutorial about this topic?

thanks!

You can’t edit nameservers ?
What kind of TLD it is ?
With which registrar ?

If you want you can set A and MX records manually, i did it with few domains.

To know what is the A & MX value, add the domain on your panel, wait few minutes, then check the value with nslookup on windows on ns1.dreamhost.com

Commands :
run nslookup then :

[quote]server ns1.dreamhost.com
set q=A
www.thedomain.com
[/quote]

it will give you the A value
you can also ask for thedomain.com

[quote]set q=MX
thedomain.com
[/quote]

it will give you the MX value

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

<You can’t edit nameservers ?> the registrar support told me so…
TLD: .it
registrar: Tophost

…command line is not really my bread and butter…

but I’ll try…

thanks!

[quote]The company where I have register and host few domains says that I can not edit the name server
but only the A, MX and CNAME[/quote]
Are you sure you can not specify the name servers? It seems very strange for a registrar not to allow this.

You can obtain the required IP addresses from within the DreamHost panel after adding a domain to the hosting system, but you should be aware that these IP addresses can change at any time, so you will need to constantly monitor this and, when required, change the IP addresses configured at your registrar.

Another option would be to transfer the domain registrations to DreamHost, this can be done via the admin panel and is a fairly painless procedure.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Will he be able to transfer a .it domain to DreamHost?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click Here

No

Raz : there is sometimes restrictions with a few TLD (like registered dns server, or they must be in the same country, etc…)

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

Hi guys, what is the solution?

If the poster is able to change A, MX and CName, can the poster host the domain in DH? I think this is what the poster concerns.

A record is used to point a hostname to a IP address. If the poste is gonna to be on a shared server, the IP address changes all the time. Unless the poster has a unique IP address in DH, it will be troublesome for the poster to update the IP address all the time.

MX is used for email.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) with [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color]; Save [color=#CC0000]$82[/color] get lifetime domain with [color=#CC0000]82CRAZY[/color]. Sign Up NOW

Lensman - DH can’t handle registration for a .it domain but that doesn’t mean you can’t point the name servers to DH’s servers. This is a little off this topic - there are wiki articles and lots of other postings explaining what to do. You can’t transfer .it domains to DH, but you can host .it domains at DH.

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

I totally missed the ‘TDL: .it’ line in eolo’s second post. :blush:

Scratch the registration transfer option. :frowning:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Hi,

if I get a unique IP address, I can use the same for only one domain or for more?

(on level one)

Thanks

Unfortunately, under the DreamHost system, each unique IP address you purchase can only be assigned to one domain.

Mark