DNS config problem - site won't respond

Hi Folks, would someone cast their eyes over this DNS config, I can’t see where I’m going wrong. The advice I have received is to enter an ‘A’ entry for both www.mineralconsulting.com and mineralconsulting.com, but it ain’t working.

[img=http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5109/20080723125346jf4.th.jpg]

Thanks for looking

__
// / (
( /( /)(/__)())(
/

Your A record for those are pointing at the IP address for a name server.

Go to the panel for Domains -> Manage Domains, then click DNS next to your Fully Hosted Domain. That will give you the proper IP address for the A record for your web server.

-Scott

p.s. That IP address may change under some circumstances. But that’s rare.

Aha, I see, I’ve confused the ‘A’ with DNS. That’s a fundamental error. I’ve got some reading to do. Yup, that works. Thanks very much for your help.

There is however one other tiny matter, which I’m confused about. This is a Joomla site. The ‘absolute path’ for the site I have set to mineralconsulting.com in the config.ini file, 'cos that’s the name of the containing directory, so that works, but www.mineralconsulting.com as yet does not.

I’ve got the domain config at DH set to accept with ‘www’ or without and added two ‘A’ entries over at Arsys (one with and one without) with the same ‘correct’ IP. Is this the right way to do this, or do I have to accept one or the other?

I’m off to do some reading, any other help most gratefully received. Thanks again.

Erm, I’ve found this:

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=0&Board=forum_troubleshooting&Number=69044&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post69044

Which suggests that the problem might resolve itself if I wait for propagation. Still not sure if I should use two ‘A’ entries though…

__
// / (
( /( /)(/__)())(
/

You’ll need both A records. And they both seem to be working for me.

-Scott

Yes, working here now. Thanks again for your time, much appreciated.

__
// / (
( /( /)(/__)())(
/