DNS CNAME Config

I just transfered a domain name, say myweb.com, to dreamhost.
myweb.com is hosted on another webhost hence it’s DNS nameserver is ns1.webhost.com.
I wanted to setup a CNAME record to point to yet another server sub.myweb.com.

I can’t see the admin panel option to set that. Must the DNS nameserver be those of dreamhost (ns1.dreamhost.com)?

Let’s just say I can’t get hold of my webhost, what alternatives do I have?

Sorry if the above is abit confusing. Cos I’m a complete newbie on this :oops:

[quote]myweb.com is hosted on another webhost hence it’s DNS nameserver is ns1.webhost.com.
I wanted to setup a CNAME record to point to yet another server sub.myweb.com.[/quote]
If you have the name servers set to nsX.webhost.com, then you must add the CName record using whatever DNS configuration tools that webhost.com provides.

One option would be to host the parent domain here at DreamHost and use the DreamHost name servers, you could then add the CName here.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

You mean to just change the nameserver to ns1/ns2.dreamhost.com? Or to make dreamhost the new webhost for myweb.com?

The option I was referring to was to use the DreamHost name servers (ns1.dreamhost.com etc.) and host the site here at DreamHost. In my opinion, this would be the simplest solution overall.

Although, if your other DNS host provides the ability to add the CNAME you require, you could just do that.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Just to confirm that the name server is the one storing the CNAME data?

Yes, you create the CNAME record at the name servers that are handling DNS for the domain.

Mark

Looks like I need to chat up my webhost then.

Thanks Mark, really appreciate your kind help =D

It will help us provide better answers if we could have a better idea of the outcome you’d like to achieve.

1. Do you want to keep registration of your domain name at the other place or do you want to move it to DreamHost.
  2. Do you want to manage the DNS for your domain at the other place or do you want to manage it at DreamHost? If you’re going to do all your hosting here at DreamHost, it will make it easier to move DNS management here.
  3. Do you want to host all your websites for your domain and its subdomains here at DreamHost? What about email?

These answers will help us help you “better”!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Sure :slight_smile:

1. Actually, the domain is now registered with Dreamhost and if possible, stay with Dreamhost.
  2. If possible, manage the DNS with Dreamhost.
  3. I want to host the domain/subdomain/mail on my own webhost (a free account by a friend, just that I can’t get hold of him)

I understand it will be easier to move everything to Dreamhost but I would like to stick to the free account. Hence the “sticky” situation.

If your domain is registered and nameserved by dreamhost, you can easily do everything you mention. In this case, you could have all your hosting on your other server - the domain and all subdomains.

I noticed that you don’t have a hosting account at all at dreamhost and are only using the registration services. In fact, according to your original post, you’re not even using dreamhost nameservers. Is that right?

I wanted to clear that up before going on and explaining stuff that wouldn’t be applicable to you.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Yup, only the domain name registration is with Dreamhost. The nameserver and hosting is on my friend’s dedicated server.

BUT looks like I started this thread a day too early. My friend finally show up! Hopefully he can settle for me, fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Thanks Lensman and Raz2133 :smiley:

Unfortunately, DreamHost does not provide DNS services for domain registrations unless the account in question also has an active hosting plan under it.

This would make the supatako’s aim of having the registration and DNS handled by DreamHost while hosting the sites elsewhere difficult. Well, not really difficult, just needlessly expensive, as if would require the purchase of a hosting plan that he doesn’t really need.

Mark

Excellent, I am sure your friend will be able to add the CNAME you require.

Good luck.

Mark

Interesting, now that you mention it, that does sound familiar! Perhaps this is something they’ll add at some point, though since they think of their core business as hosting and their registration services started to make things better for their hosting services (because their third-party registrar was giving their customers problems), I guess it makes sense that they focus on their core customers.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder!