Dns change

Hi, I will be transferring my DNS entries at the current ISP to DreamHost in a day or so. Had a look at the current ISP page for this, and I see that they only have two “slots” for putting in the new dns details, but I notice that DreamHost quote three DNS addresses. Presumably I just put in the first two, is that correct?

Also, anyone who has done this recently could you say how long the propagation took? Many thanks.

The first two will be fine. DNS propagation can take anywhere from 3 minutes to 3 days. In my personal experience, the average is 24 hours.

si-blog | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Yes, putting in just two nameservers will be fine.

I last did this around 3 months ago and it took 1-2 days. I wasn’t in a hurry so I didn’t really check that often, though.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Oops. Sorry SCJessey.

BTW, when I did the change it was on a brand new domain so I didn’t really have to deal with any caching issues.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Thanks all of you for such a speedy reply! I’m enjoying this DreamHost thing so far, so many toys to play with! Compared to my previous hoster this is nirvana.

Don’t forget to put them all away when you’ve finished playing. More toys can equal more damage.

si-blog | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Thanks Lensman, by the way I used your $97 discount code, cheers!

“Don’t forget to put them all away when you’ve finished playing. More toys can equal more damage.”

Oh yes! Please be on hand for my emergency n00b posts…

Thanks! (but SCJessey hit send one minute before I did! Ahhh!)