DNS addresses

I had one of my clients change the server addresses at their registrar to dreamhost and even though he put in the right spot for Primary Secondary etc they came up out of order.
Does this matter? Should we try to correct it? We just did this a few minutes ago so I dont expect propagation yet so hard to verify.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS2.DREAMHOST.COM 66.201.54.66
NS3.DREAMHOST.COM 66.33.216.216
NS1.DREAMHOST.COM 66.33.206.206

Thanx!

It shouldn’t make any difference at all! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

well, it could make a difference because most domainnames put the ns1 thing first. So if the first nameserver is a bit busy then your visitor has to wait a bit before your site can load.

that’s why you can change the order of the nameservers and put ns2 or ns3 as the first one, because they won’t be that busy like ns1.

This, offcourse, is all true and reality if ns1, ns2 and ns3 aren’t loadbalancers. Because if they are, they will do the thing you wanted to do with the order of the nameservers. They will divide traffic to servers who are less busy then the busy ones.

Those are good observations, and Thanks! for pointing that out. :slight_smile:

I was just trying to assure him that his site would still “get found”, without thinking about possible latency effects, but your answer is “mo’ better”. :wink:

–rlparker

thanks for the compliment, I’m glad I write readable english :slight_smile:

Your English is fine, and considerably better than many for whom English is their first, and only, language! :wink:

–rlparker