Disk Quota Exceeded error

I am receiving a “disk quota exceeded” error whenever I try to upload something via FTP, but I’m no where near my allotted disk space.

I’ve poked around, and I think I’m getting the error because I’ve uploaded more files than I’m allowed to. Is there a way to either increase the number of files I can upload, or remove the limit all together? Because I am no where near the maximum GB of files I am allowed to have. This is a huge problem for me, as I can’t do anything on my website if I can’t upload stuff. I’m already behind, and I was on a time crunch as it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If you have access to your panel, click on Status -> Disk Usage and make sure it’s still Unlimited. Or something far above what you think you’re using. Bumping up the quota isn’t instantaneous and may take a day to free up.

If you need additional help, you may submit a support ticket and hopefully catch them at an opportune time when they can jump on it. Otherwise it may be 24 hours until it clears up.

-Scott

I checked Disk Status, and this is the info there:

Total Disk Space Provided: 491.4 GB ($0.01 / MB over)
Month Average: 15.4 GB
Currently Using: 35.6 GB
Estimated Average Usage: 29.5 GB (at end of billing period)

And the domain in question is using about 6% of my total space available. I went ahead and submitted a Support ticket. I’m hoping they’ll be able to help me out!

It sounds as though you have exceeded your inodes allowance; in essence the total number of files. This can be corrected, and your inodes allowance increased, but it will take tech support staff to do it for you.

You need to submit a support request to get this sorted.

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

Check that it’s not an unintentionally self-imposed condition too.

[color=#00CC00]Panel > Users > Manage Users[/color]

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Good point! If you have set some disk quota limit below the account max, our system dynamically adjusts the inode limit accordingly - to get the max default allowable inodes, you need to have no user based disk quota set in the account control panel.

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

Which is why I recommend that the OP check their Disk Usage. However, they just checked the Overall at the top and didn’t scroll down to Disk Usage by User.

-Scott

How do I check if there is a self-imposed limit? I checked the “Limit total disk usage” part under “user”, but that isn’t checked, so the limit should be 489GB because that’s all the space I have, right?

Is there another place to check for inodes? The total number of files I have uploaded is 547426, but past contacting Support (like I was suggested to do, and as I’ve done–I’m just waiting for Support to contact me), I don’t know how to adjust that limit.

I think ~512k inodes is the initial ceiling per user who has lotsa disk quota.

You’ll have to wait for support to up the inode quota for the troubled user (customers can’t do that from Panel). While you’re waiting to hear from them it might be a good idea to think about the structure of your sites, maybe creating extra users for different domains, sub-domains for shared files, etc. in effort to not run into another quota problem in the future.

Good effort overing the half mill tho! What kinda sites do you run?

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Well, I’ve got several sites. One of them is a webdesign business, where I design inexpensive layouts for fansites, and offer designs for professional sites, too. For the former, the clients are always asking for pictures of certain people from TV shows, movies, etc. for layouts, so the site that’s causing me problems now/has so many files uploaded is an entire domain with Coppermine set up on it. I was trying to make it a huge screencaps archive for clients to sift through to find the images they wanted me to incorporate in their layouts.

Is it possible to assign more than one user to a particular domain?

You can create subdomains owned by different users, but a single domain is a single entity, but you can kludge a band-aid with the remap function:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/KB_/Account_Control_Panel/Domains::_Remap_Sub-Dir

However, increasing your inode limit would be the desired approach.

-Scott