Dishonest Webdesigner offered hosting and now I have no access

Hello, unfortunately, my dishonest web designer made a website for me and hosted it with DreamHost, but together with all of her clients!

How do i get my domain name back, as well as my website, so I can register it in my name as the rightful owner?

She won’t give me access to it, because I would then have access to all of her clients.

Please help, it is my website, my domain, and now the webiste is down.

Best,

Tracy

Hi - thanks for the fast reply. I have lots of emails, agreements and everything - but the woman has disappeared and answers no calls or emails. She took my money to host, register and create my website, and I have proof of this. Can DreamHost give me access to my property?

Tracy

Was the domain name registered under your information? If it wasn’t then it didn’t belong to you I’m afraid. Do you have some sort of proof as far as the work you contracted them for? If you do such as e-mails and what not I would ask them to give you the auth code so you can transfer the domain name to your registrar of choice and that they also give you a copy of your website including any mysql databases or you will take legal action against them. If you cannot prove you have some sort of agreement with this person there would be little you could do, however.

[hr]
Hi - thanks for the fast reply. I have lots of emails, agreements and everything - but the woman has disappeared and answers no calls or emails. She took my money to host, register and create my website, and I have proof of this. Can DreamHost give me access to my property?

Tracy
[hr]

Tracy
[hr]

Tracy

Are you sure? if you do indeed ‘own’ the domain name then you will have an account at the domain registrars (where you paid the fee for the domain name). This account would allow you to re-direct where the domain is hosted.

If your web designer registered the domain name for you, then it is possible that you don’t actually own the domain name (he or she does).

Also it’s very common and not unusual for your domain to be hosted on a shared server, there will be other websites that don’t belong to that designer there as well.

FYI - As a business practice, when we at my business register domains for a customer they are always registered in our businesses name. If the customer chooses to take their business elsewhere at a later date, we are always more than happy to transfer the domain name however they want it handled, ASSUMING that they have paid us in full for all services we have rendered.

First step is to find out who actually owns the domain name. This is a simple process, but it can be confusing if you are not familiar with the domain registration system. Try looking up the domain name here http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp and see if you can determine ownership information (if you can’t you may also need to look elsewhere or ownership could be ‘cloaked’ but it’s difficult to give detailed instructions.)[hr]
(I took 3 phone calls while writing the above reply, and it looks like the thread moved forward)

[hr]
Thank you!

I looked, and it is not in my name. However, as I said, I have proof it is mine, and she doesn’t deny it is mine.

But she disappeared! What does a customer like me do when you contract for someone, as you said, to be hosted in a group with your company, and then that company implodes? Do we all lose our domains, names, etc? Surely there is a way to get DreamHost to return this to me if I can prove ownership?

Best,

Tracy

Dreamhost has no way of validating the documentation that you have. I believe you would need a court order establishing ownership to proceed.

Sorry this is happening to you and hope it gets resolved.

If you do find her, ask her to set you up as a “user” so you can administer your own site and you won’t see her account or anyone else’s account either. I generally don’t give client’s access to this because they can easily make a mistake if they are not technical but if they want it or ask too many questions (not expecting to pay for the answers), they get it.