Discussion Lists Blocked

Our club has had Mailman Discussion lists on Dreamhost since 2007. Within the past 2-3 weeks error messages like the following are arriving almost every day. I myself am now blocked from the lists I run. Here are samples of what I’m finding in my inbox…

ge****@roadrunner.com: delivery temporarily suspended: host
cdptpa-pub-iedge-vip.email.rr.com[107.14.166.70] refused to talk to me: 452
Too many recipients received this hour. Please see our rate limit policy at
http://postmaster.rr.com/spam#ratelimit .

ag***@yahoo.com: delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection with
mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[66.196.118.240] while sending RCPT TO

cg041*****@aol.com: host mailin-03.mx.aol.com[64.12.88.163] said: 521 5.2.1 :
(CON:B1) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554conb1.html (in reply to
end of DATA comman

bd**@psu.edu: host tr12g05.aset.psu.edu[128.118.146.135] said: 550 5.7.1
rejected: 69.163.254.50 listed at www.mail-abuse.org (in reply to MAIL FROM
command)

sbran****@att.net: host frf-mailrelay.att.net[204.127.217.21] said:
521-69.163.254.50 blocked by sbc:blacklist.mailrelay.att.net. 521 DNSRBL:
Blocked for abuse. See http://att.net/blocks (in reply to MAIL FROM
command)

sh*****@earthlink.net: host mx4.earthlink.net[209.86.93.229] said: 550 IP
69.163.254.50 is blocked by EarthLink. Go to earthlink.net/block for
details. (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

Is someone on diego.dreamhost.com spamming??? And is anyone else having this problem out there?
I opened a ticket with support, it went unanswered for 5 days. Hope somebody can help because I don’t really want to move them.

Mike B
Enfield, CT

Your mail server is blacklisted ?

typically for blacklisted webservers the most reply you will get is one that essentially says thanks for reporting it and it will be forwarded to the dept that deals with mail blocks and that you won’t get anymore updates. sad but true.

Is the list running on dreamhost mailman install or your own install? The server name kind of implies you may have installed your own, although i’m not sure that’s possible on a shared server. Or do you know if it’s actually being sent via diego. ? if you are using dreamhost discussion list it is probably on a different server than your webserver.

The lists are being hosted by Dreamhost, on a Dreamhost server. The error from psu.edu (in original post above) shows an IP of 69.163.254.5 which, when checked at ip-address-lookup-v4.com shows diego.dreamhost.com. Unless I’m reading it wrong, but that’s what the IP translated to. Our club has had the lists up since 2007 and all this has happened the past three weeks.

I have moved both of my discussion groups to Googlegroups where both are now running fine and everyone is happy.

Why pay for lousy support when you can get lousy support for free :slight_smile:

Hello,

Can you help us about this ?

Emails are forwarded very slowly to Gmail email lately:

Thank you.

Ha! :cool:

No help it seems !

I too am having big issues. I have a mailman discussion list I have for a non-profit I volunteer for, over 1100 subscribers. Last week all 160+ aol addresses bounced with CON:B1 from diego.dreamhost.com. This week we are getting subscribers reporting over 100 duplicate emails sent to their addresses.

Not happy. Migrating to google groups is not an option.

Has anyone received any explanaition from DreamHost?

I noticed @conradyoder on twitter was complaining about lack of feedback from DreamHost, but it looks like his tweets were removed and replaced with a thank you to @DreamHostCare.

Dreamhost said that they are not responsible, but I won’t give up !

I found that this problem is caused by Cisco IronPort spam filters used by many ISPs. They get a “reputation score” from Cisco owned Senderbase which uses appliances spread around the globe which sniff emails and compute a score of the sender.

It appears that diego.dreamhost.com which hosts our discussion lists has now a “poor email reputation” and sends out more than 2 million emails per day which is an increase of 30 % (not sure from what base or when).

See http://www.senderbase.org/lookup/?search_string=69.163.254.50

Trying to resolve this I have contacted support@senderbase.org and also Dreamhost support and it seems they both are ignoring me.

Normally Dreamhost support is quite good. I wonder what is going on with our hosting provider.
[hr]
Forgot to say that diego.dreamhost.com is not listed by any of the usual blacklist providers.