Discussion Forum Theme

I have a question, is it possible to change the theme DreamHost uses for its forum. I find it to be extremely boring and uninviting, IMHO. I know there are higher priority items, but is there a plan to replace the forum with something more visually/aesthetically appealing.

How about allowing for avatars, image attachments… make this place more dynamic, alive…

Any thoughts on this?

You can change a few things here :
http://discussion.dreamhost.com/editdisplay.pl?Cat=

But this forum is pretty basic.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

While pictures sometimes are worth a thousand words or more, most of the pictures I see in forums are not, and they usually cost more like 2-50 thousand words (8-bit bytes) of data download. Also, they are often “borrowed” pictures or using “borrowed bandwidth.”

In the rare case someone here wants to post a picture, they usually link to one at their site. Works for me.

Finally, this is one of the most dynamic, alive, and visually appealing forums around! :slight_smile:

tor.eff.org

Please, no avatars!

I frequent a couple of other forums, where animated avatars are prevalent and having all those flashing, moving things on the page is very distracting.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

In my forums, the first thing I decided was: no avatars.

Maybe some colors wouldn’t hurt… some css magic. But I don’t really mind, because what matters to me is the content. And these dark colors even help my eyes :slight_smile:

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

You know that there’s an adjustment for that on your monitor called “Brightness”.

I figured out that it was for the amount of light emitted by the monitor when I turned it up and the forum posts were still stupid.

Dark? I wouldnt call the default forum colors dark. Maybe wholly is right and you need to turn up your monitor brightness. :slight_smile:

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

I always have my monitor in a low brightness and gamma setting because I work 15 hours a day, and my eyes were ruinned by a too bright monitors in the past.
With my settings, this forum have a soft grey color :stuck_out_tongue:

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

Unfortunately mine are the same, 25 years of sitting in front of various CRT monitors has taken its toll. :frowning:

I (fairly) recently upgraded to an LCD (Dell 2405FPW) and have found my eyes feel a lot better at the end of the day.

I actually have the brightness on the Dell set to 0, as the default setting of 50 was sometimes like looking into the sun :slight_smile: With these settings I find the default forum colours to be very easy on the eyes.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )