Disable/Close Scam Redirecting Sites

Is there a way to “stop” them??? I keep receiving Scam redirects from the site below… If the owner started setting up the site in 2008 and it’s still not setup and all that it is used for is redirecting to malware, viruses, and scams, then wouldn’t closing it down help keep dreamhost.com’s reputation? Yes I know they pay for the site, but if the site abuses dreamhost.com’s policies then shouldn’t it be closed? As I am “tired” of reporting this site…

First redirecting to malware:
hxxp://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/signaturelinephotography.com

Then Illegal Pharmacy:
Spamvertized Malware exploit - Spam Distributors, Tracking & Redirection.

• Site Hosts or is a Redirection to a Illegal Pharmacy Scam.
  • User beware. Do not become their next victim.
    Redirection: hxxp://signaturelinephotography.com/message/new/

Yep, but it can be an extremely difficult process. Here are the laborious steps:

1. Stop visiting the website.

2. Okay, you’re done.

The wayback machine suggests the site was not compromised in the past and it appeared to be a legitimate photography business website for quite some time.

http://www.google.com/search?q=signaturelinephotography.com

Website redirections are most usually the result of being “hacked”. That is, nefarious types use exploits in the website software in order to insert their own code that redirects user traffic to their own malware sites.

A quick note about MyWOT. There are blackhat freelancers online who are happy to use their multiple hundreds of fake MyWOT accounts to upvote a site’s reputation - or worse still downvote a competitor’s - all for just a paltry few dollars. Social Media will never be a legitimate watchdog. Just ask Google about DMOZ.

I think photography is a fantastic art. Are you a photographer?

[quote=“sXi, post:2, topic:59114”]Yep, but it can be an extremely difficult process. Here are the laborious steps:

1. Stop visiting the website.
  2. Okay, you’re done.[/quote]
    That’s a good recommendation! So you suggest leaving these sites alone when they are spammed and don’t care if someone who visits the redirection from this malicious site gets Scammed or downloads a virus because they think it’s a legitimate site!!!, Ok I can see the “care” here…

[quote=“sXi, post:2, topic:59114”]
The wayback machine suggests the site was not compromised in the past and it appeared to be a legitimate photography business website for quite some time.[/quote]Well the wayforward machine shows Its currently a “blank” page with just a Dreamhost cover page that has been reported as having a Trojan download!

The site is “currently” blacklisted for Phishing and Malware…

[quote=“sXi, post:2, topic:59114”]
http://www.google.com/search?q=signaturelinephotography.com[/quote]Only shows the current site is used for scam redirection and it hosted pages that load a set of JavaScripts which in turn attempt to load a malicious webpage.

[quote=“sXi, post:2, topic:59114”]Website redirections are most usually the result of being “hacked”. That is, nefarious types use exploits in the website software in order to insert their own code that redirects user traffic to their own malware sites.[/quote]Then after the initial complaint of abuse a “smart” site owner would change their password to make it harder to hack.

[quote=“sXi, post:2, topic:59114”]A quick note about MyWOT. There are blackhat freelancers online who are happy to use their multiple hundreds of fake MyWOT accounts to upvote a site’s reputation - or worse still downvote a competitor’s - all for just a paltry few dollars. Social Media will never be a legitimate watchdog. Just ask Google about DMOZ.[/quote]Yes I know, the reviewer who reviewed “signaturelinephotography.com” on MyWOT said they were paid $100 for each post they made from the international monetary fund.

[quote=“sXi, post:2, topic:59114”]I think photography is a fantastic art. Are you a photographer?[/quote]No, I just report the scamming photography sites…

Bottom line then is to just don’t care about these Scam/Malware sites and just start to include the hosting service provider (like Dreamhost.com) into the scam/phishing reviews so everyone researching these sites will also see who provides protected service to them and then maybe they will stay away from not only the scam site but also from the service provider.

Is this the assumption you suggested? Ok then, fine with me…

Thanks for the re ply…

What I am saying is that for you “keep receiving Scam redirects from the site” requires that you keep visiting the site in the first place. Why do that? Just stop.

The first link in Google is a direct link to the site. If you had actually clicked it you would have seen that the site is hosting a generic “Coming Soon” page and that it does not redirect anywhere.

Blaming the hosting company and making illogical threats against them is hardly the answer. If you really want to try to stop websites from being exploited then you should research how the script kiddies exploited any infected sites that you find in the first place and then inform others about unsafe software/plug-ins/themes, etc. that were used as the method to exploit the site.

I checked with Abuse, and they are on it :slight_smile:

FYI, you can report sites like these at http://dreamhost.com/contact/ and we do clean them up.