Directly moving Dreamhost account backups to dreamobject storage

vps
dreamobjects

I have a VPS account with several websites, dozens of email addresses/accounts and few MySQL databases., So I am trying the dreamobjects free trial; mainly for use for my VPS backups. But I can not see any way to move the “Billing and Account”->“Backup your Account” backups to the dreamobject storage(At least not using the Dashboard). I can download the backups to my PC and then upload to my dreamobject storage - but that’s obviously not going to work for me - just takes to long and too many different backup files.

Am I missing anything? Any better ideas???

The account backup feature is something one is expected to use regularly; it is something you do once a year, or when moving to another service for all your sites and services.

More details are available at https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215089918-How-do-I-backup-my-entire-account-, including how to use the commandline to get the files moved around.

Unfortunately it can not be scripted, as backing up the whole account is always a manual step.

Because all websites are different, they need different backup strategies, and several kinds of backups on DreamHost are listed at https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215768237-How-can-I-manually-backup-my-data-.

If you have a specific website setup, share it, and I’ll be happy to make suggestions. :slight_smile:

[ Note, I’ve never used DreamObject or S3, so this answer is speculative. ]

DreamObject is S3-compatible, so there are lots of S3 tools you can use with DreamObjects. DreamHost lists some in “What applications are compatible with DreamObjects?” Web searching for “files/MySQL/IMAP backup to S3” reveals more.

For example, if you are familiar with rsync, then you could use one of the rsync-like S3 tools: Rsync to AWS S3 bucket.

For backing up MySQL and VPS files, you could setup a cron job to periodically:

• Dump MySQL DBs to VPS disk.
  • Sync VPS files (user dirs, DB dump) to DreamObjects using aws-cli’s sync command.

Maybe something similar could be done for backup email…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.