Directing mail to main account mailbox

When I set up my Dreamhost account, I was given a user name (e.g “foobar”), and a mailbox was set up under that name.

I want to add an email address that points to this original “foobar” mailbox, rather than create a new mailbox (and thus create a new username and password). My problem is I can’t see an obvious way to do this. When I add a new address, the only option are to forward to an existing email address, or create a new mailbox. How can I find out what email address will point to the “foobar” mailbox?

I suspect I’m missing something obvious.

TIA,

Richard Smith
Drawing Business

First of all, go to
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=mail.addresses&
which displays all the addresses and mailboxes that are set up for your domain. I’m assuming that you’re familiar with this page? You’ll see your address listed along with the mailbox name where mail to that address is placed.

If you want to create another address, and mails to this address shall go to the same mailbox, then you will need to create a “forwarding-only address” – it’s an address that does not have it’s own mailbox but instead forwards the mail to another address.

1. Click the link Create a new email address,
  2. fill in the “Email sent to” field with the new address you want to create,
  3. fill in the complete address to forward to,
  4. uncheck the checkbox “deliver to this mailbox”,
  5. click the button “Create address”.

That’s it. Questions?

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

Yes, no problem

Again, obviously.

Ah ha, no herein lies my problem, as I mentioned in my first post. What address refers to the root account mailbox? Is it foobar@mydomain.com, where foobar is my username? This is the bit that has me stumped. Sorry if it’s obvious, I just can’t see a way to refer to this root mailbox.

Richard Smith
Drawing Business

[quote]What address refers to the root account mailbox?
Sorry if it’s obvious, I just can’t see a way to refer to this root mailbox.

[/quote]

It is not at all obvious. I too was stumped by this.

In my experience IF your username has a mailbox (it normally does) AND the mailbox has an address (it usually does) THEN the address is that shown on the “Mail > Email Addresses” page, in the record with field “Login:” = , in the field “Email Address”.

[quote]It is not at all obvious. I too was stumped by this.

In my experience IF your username has a mailbox (it normally does) AND the mailbox has an address (it usually does) THEN the address is that shown on the “Mail > Email Addresses” page, in the record with field “Login:” = , in the field “Email Address”.[/quote]
Hmm. This I don’t have. On the Mail>Addresses panel, only the two “m#######” mailboxes I have created show in the mailboxes list. The “username” mailbox definitely exists, as it shows up in the “Filter and Spam” panel, and I can add filters to it. I can also log in to this mailbox from my email client, synchronise it (I use IMAP), and send email FROM it.

But I can’t find out what email address directs TO it, or how to create a new one that does.

Richard Smith
Drawing Business

So you’re saying that you have a mailbox named with your username, but this is not shown in the list of mailboxes in the Mail|Address tab? But the list shows two other mailboxes?

From that it would seem that your username-mailbox does not have any address associated with it at all, and I would contact support about it.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

Thanks, I’ve e-mailed support. Fingers crossed.

Richard Smith
Drawing Business

OK, no problem, that simply means the user mailbox hasn’t got an explict address, having been orphaned for one of a number of reasons. I suggest you give it an address by using Edit Addresses > Create a new email address, setting Mailbox login to your user malbox.