DHTML issues. scrollover image scroll scrollbar?

design

Hi, my friend just registered at dreamhost (great service by the way! I’m very impressed) and basically I just made his design and forums because he doesn’t know what he’s doing, but he really wanted to start a website. I’ve been doing some web design for about 6 years, but haven’t done anything serious until now. Anyways, we are located at http://www.micruisin.com . I have a DHTML problem though. As of now, I have an “ilayer” in the middle of the page, and it can only scroll by putting your mouse over the arrows in the corner.

Well, some people like them, some don’t. So I was wondering if I could still use those and enable your mouse’s scrollwheel?

If not, I setup http://www.micruisin.com/testingsomeish.php where I have an iframe with scrollbars so your scrollwheel can work and you have more freedom to navigate. However, I’ve found that about 50% of our traffic is from FireFox, and colored scrollbars don’t work in FF, you just see the normal gray and black. If you view that page in IE, it doesn’t look too ugly because it kind of blends in the page, almost seems like it belongs.

So is there anyway to integrate the mouse scrollwheel on the index or even some way to see colored scrollbars in FF?

See, I’m good at designing, but once I have the template done in photoshop, I can’t code worth crap. I should use css, I know, don’t really know how. It’s very sloppy html/php/java/dhtml stuff going on right now, but I can’t really do much more

Thanks in advance!

Click here to go to MICruisin.com

So is there anyway to integrate the mouse scrollwheel on the index or even some way to see colored scrollbars in FF?

No, and no. The first part of your question is a good reason to not do things like this, and the second is a feature, not a bug.

Changing basic UI elements like scrollbars, mouse cursors, etc, makes for extremely poor usability. Likewise, your JavaScript scrolling thing is even worse:

a) it’s not readily apparent how to scroll within that box,
b) clicking on one of the arrows results in a page reload rather than scrolling,
c) like you’ve already noticed, you can’t use the keyboard, trackpad, or mouse wheel to scroll.

Look at it this way: If it’s part of the page content, it’s yours to style as you wish. If it’s part of basic browser/OS functionality, hands off.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.