DH rewards and new hostees

Lately I’ve been seeing sign-ups that haven’t paid in my referral list. More than ever, in fact.

So I was wondering; why would someone go through the trouble to get far enough in the sign up process to get a web ID and then back out? Could it be because of the ad on DH home page stating they give big bucks for referral even if you’re not a DH customer?

That has never sat right with me - the fact that someone can refer others without even being a customer. It seems a bit smarmy. Its like saying, “we don’t care if you mean it or not, just get us more customers.”

DH is a solid enough host to not have to resort to this. I personally feel it is beneath them.

You could say that it is just another form of advertising, but I think a personal testimonial from a real customer is much more powerful than the usual web banner or text ad. And the problem is that this policy hurts people like myself who do give personal testimonials because it casts doubt on credibility. And if it’s killing my referrals, it’s killing a potential dh customer.

Anyone agree? Any other hostees who give personal testimonials experiencing the same sign-ups apparently changing their minds? How about non hostees - would this change your mind about hosting here or create doubt about a personal testimonial you read if you knew about the referral bonus?

[quote]That has never sat right with me - the fact that someone can refer
others without even being a customer. It seems a bit smarmy. Its like
saying, “we don’t care if you mean it or not, just get us more customers.”

[/quote]

I can assure you, that thought process wasn’t what went through our minds when this was implemented. The Rewards system doubles not only as a way for current customers to earn referrals for their own recommendations, but also for those who want to do ‘normal’ advertising on our behalf. Traditionally we’ve found that normal advertising just isn’t worth the time and effort on our part to set up, but if potential advertisers think they can provide results and earn those payments, we’ll provide them with a way to do so.

There are also some actual DreamHost customers who, for various reasons, like to keep their Rewards-related Web ID separate from any specific hosting account.

Either way, I personally wouldn’t be comfortable with the idea of someone out there saying “I use DreamHost, it’s great!” and gaining referrals when they’re obviously lying. In the past, we’ve refused partnerships with 3rd parties who have proposed similarly devious deals.

[quote]You could say that it is just another form of advertising, but I think a
personal testimonial from a real customer is much more powerful than the
usual web banner or text ad.

[/quote]

I would actually agree with this, and would support it by saying that word of mouth and standard Rewards referrals are our #1 source of sign-ups.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that there is anything ethically wrong or smarmy with traditional advertising, though, just that it’s not as persuasive. The web has made people more educated when it comes to their purchases, and an ad banner alone isn’t usually enough to do the trick.

In any case, I haven’t seen any widespread complaints about the behavior you mention, though I’m afraid I can’t explain it either.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin