I'm a current DH customer, have been for over 2 years. I'm wondering how many other customers have experienced what seems an unusual amount of tech problems over the past several months, dating from an announcement in mid-February '06 that DH had installed a "lot" (their word) of new hardware?
The problems we've experienced in atypical volume since mid-Feb 06:
When new email accounts are created, even in batches, a healthy percentage (often 50% or more) simply do not work, despite being created at the same time, etc. Only deleting them and recreating them gets them to work.
Email accounts accessible and functional via various POP clients but not accessible via webmail until, again, we completely delete said account and recreate it.
Putting new domains online seems to be hit or miss. Often they propagate within an hour or less or sometimes they NEVER propagate. Again, about 50% of all new domains we've tried to bring online do NOT propagate and have to be recreated or reset. These are domains registered with Dreamhost, so there is not a 3rd-party DNS involved.
WebDAV volumes that are accessible and mount fine on UNIX (Sun/SGI) and Mac OS X boxes, but simply are not accessible via Windows XP or Windows 2000, no matter what we try. This is true of about 90% of our WebDAV volumes.
Simple .htpassword affecting general PHP execution. Removing the .htpassword file fully restores the PHP execution, re-implementing it shuts it down again. This occurs on one of the servers we live on much more than another, so it seems based on the server itself (see below for more about this).
Discrimination (resulting in failure to upload) against files during FTP uploads depending on, primarily, whether they are binary or ASCII in structure. This problem is not OS, hardware, or FTP-client dependent.
Interruption of simple POST events and a propensity for _postdata resends to ALL break one day and ALL work perfectly another day, based on the same code on the same site, using the same event circumstances, files, and other elements. We've tested this and can repeat it with 100% reliability (on "bad days").
Processes and events which occur reliably without fail on one server (temple, for example) but break or fail over 50% of the time on another (rum, for example), using mirrored code, configuration, et al.
Jabber clients which routinely have to be reset or recreated. They work for several days and then simply fail to function. This, too, occurs much more often on one server than another.
That's about it but these things often keep us from running our business. This is important to us to get to the bottom of this and are very grateful for any feedback or comments that come our way. We do not want to leave Dreamhost as we like many things about them and also have a very big time and resource investment in them. We're seeking a positive solution to our problems and hope to receive whatever help others can spare us in this effort.