DH junk mail settings

Hello fellow Dreamhosters,
I am wondering whether or not my DH junk mail settings are working at all: since last weekend, I have been receiving around 50 spam in my DH webmail inbox everyday - rubbish that normally would have been filtered out. (Junk mail settings for my domain: tag level 2, quarantine level 1–not aggressive enough?) Before last weekend, settings less aggressive than the current worked fine and were sufficient to catch spam.
Is anyone else experiencing similar problems? Any help would be gratefully received.

• marsbar

DH Status indicates there’s a spam filter issue.
http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2009/04/28/junk-filtered-email-delays/

Someone mentioned that it was due to a junk filter upgrade. If you view the Full Headers of your mail, there should be some spam tags.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for responding.

I haven’t noticed any delays in mail delivery so far, since last weekend. In fact, spam mail has been coming in thick and fast into my inbox! Below is the full header of one spam mail that arrived in my inbox a moment ago - I cannot see any spam tags:

[quote]Return-Path: gretzkyje004@mc-noiz.com
X-Original-To: [account]@[server].dreamhost.com
Delivered-To: [account]@[server].dreamhost.com
Received: from TMPQULXYN (unknown [116.39.127.33])
by [server].dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 565161C399
for <[account]@[server].dreamhost.com>; Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:43:45 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: 000d01c9c874$20d52190$6400a8c0@gretzkyje004
To: <[account]@[server].dreamhost.com>
Subject: 15X Hardcore revolutionary formula
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:42:24 +0900
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0007_01C9C874.20D52190"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180[/quote]
:frowning:

• marsbar

I can only suggest that you go into your Filter settings and change your quarantine setting by 1 or so and Save settings. Maybe this will wake it up.

-Scott

Thanks again, Scott, for coming to my aid.
I have been playing with my domain’s junk tag and quarantine levels; sadly, so far the changes have not made any difference.
In your first reply, there was mention of the official notice of 28 April, regarding ‘junk filtered email delays’. I am beginning to think that perhaps DH staff have disabled junk filtering entirely for the time they are working on the mail delivery delay problem.

• marsbar

Hi again.

Mystery solved, I think: I have been receiving spam addressed to myusername@servername.dreamhost.com, rather than to any particular mail account on my domain. Had the messages been addressed to any account on my domain, they would have been caught by my junk mail filters, rules that apply only to my domain, not any other domain!–Duh! I am an idiot not to have realised this before!

The curious thing is that I do not recall ever having used ‘myusername@servername.dreamhost.com’ in any of my correspondence; so I do not know how spammers got hold of that address.

Not happy! >:-(

• marsbar

I am starting to think SpamAssassin is out to lunch. I have been getting OBVIOUS spam emails that have been scored at 0 or .87. Even if I had set quarantine and tag levels to 0, some of this stuff would have still gotten through.

We really need a solution that updates or is able to be trained. Fortunately when this stuff gets pushed to my desktop it finds its way into the junk folder, but that doesn’t help with keeping garbage from making it to my Blackberry.