Developing replacement site - DNS issues?

Hi,

I am developing a new site for somebody. They currently have joebloggs.net pointing to their existing site (the domain is registered with somebody other than Dreamhost, and the webspace is also non-Dreamhost).

I wish to develop the site in my Dreamhost webspace before switching their domain to point to it. Leaving their old site available until then.

How can I go about doing this? I need to be able to access the site for development purposes, but obviously it’s not accessible via the web browser, beacuse when I put in joebloggs.net it not surprisingly goes to the existing site.

Any ideas? I’ve created the joebloggs.net domain on Dreamhost. I need to do all the Joomla configuration scripts with “joebloggs.net” as the path, so it works when it goes live, but I can’t access the webspace to do this.

Hope you understand what I’m getting at.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a trick to view your site before DNS change. Hope it helps
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS_-_Viewing_site_before_DNS_change

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Thanks for that. I’d missed that. Working a treat!

You are welcome. I am glad that it works for you.

That article is very popular because a lot of new customers can’t wait for DNS propagation. Thanks to the OP of that article.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here