Deleting symlinks

wordpress

My root directory has a couple of obsolete symlinks and i notice that net2ftp doesn’t provide for deleting symlinks.

I’m thinking this is probably to prevent a novice from breaking something vital.

Given that the targets of these symlinks no longer exist, am I right to assume it is safe to delete them via ssh?

What are the links?

If you did not put them there then there is probably a reason for them to be there.

It might be an idea if you contact Support before you go deleting symlinks.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

The links are
blog -> richardstuff.com/blog
wp-content -> richardstuff.com/blog/wp-content

They relate to a Wordpress installation that I experimented with but didn’t use, on a domain that expired.

They would probably be okay to delete then as they are self-generated (by something you installed) rather than put there by DreamHost.

I would still be inclined to put a ticket in just to check. DreamHost do not mind how many tickets you submit.

Obviously you are in no rush so the short wait for the response would be worth it in the long run.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Just login with an SSH client like putty and you can do anything - even kill your entire setup.

That’s the freedom of Dreamhost. (grin)

Wholly

since the targets no longer exist, the symlinks are already useless, so deleting them can only hurt if something is just checking for the existence of the symlinks, which doesn’t make much sense.