Deleting symlink

How do you delete a symlink?

I’m trying to remove a directory but can’t because I can’t delete the symlink using dreamhost’s webftp tool.

Does your user “own” the symlink? Try a real ftp client, or the shell?

–rlparker

shell worked, thanks!

OK, I’m so new to this I didn’t understand the response/solution. But, I have the same question and I’d appreciate it if someone would clarify the answer for me.

For simplicity’s sake, I’d like to work within the DreamHost provided structure (webFTP, etc.) if possible. What is the “shell”?

Thank you VERY much!

tym

The shell is a command line environment (a bit like the Windows DOS prompt) that allows you to perform advanced housekeeping tasks directly on the DreamHost server where your files are based. You connect to the shell with the SSH protocol, using a client such as PuTTY. You need to enable shell access before attempting this, but once you are connected you will be able to execute various UNIX commands. This is quite an advanced approach, so please be sure you know what you are doing before you attempt anything.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

Nice work. I couldn’t find anything simple to point him at ont he wiki, everything was too deep.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit until 12/11/07.

Folks,

Thanks for responding to my inquiry. I’m not a technical klutz, but I’m trying to avoid working in an advanced environment that might let me do something damaging to my site. Also, I and my colleagues use Mac’s.

When I use DH’s “Visit”, I see an Index of folders. Is there a way while in that view to delete the offending folder(s)?

Thanks.

No, unfortunately there is not. When you click the “Visit” link in the control panel, all that happens is you are sent to view your site in a browser; it’s just the same as if you had typed the url into the browser yourself.

You may want to consider using a traditional FTP client. There are several described in the DreamHost wiki article on using FTP clients in Mac OS X and an expanded list in the DH Wiki FTP article’s OS X section.

–rlparker

Thank you very much. I’ll check it out.

tym

You are most welcome, and good luck! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

[quote]For simplicity’s sake, I’d like to work within the DreamHost provided structure (webFTP, etc.) if possible.
When I use DH’s “Visit”, I see an Index of folders. Is there a way while in that view to delete the offending folder(s)?

[/quote]

You can delete folders using webFTP next to Visit.

[quote]advanced environment that might let me do something damaging to my site.

[/quote]

Any tool can do “damage” if used improperly. You don’t need to be afraid of the “advanced environment.” Play, have fun, learn. :wink:

Thanks to all for your responses. Two comments:

1. The reason I initially wrote to the forum is because, for some reason, webftp would not delete my directories - even when I started at the lowest level.

2. I used Fetch 5, the newest version. It’s got a great interface and made the task a breeze. I don’t know how powerful a program it is, but I have a feeling it will exceed the needs of the casual webstah.

Thanks again.

Do let us know if you get it deleted though!

Yep, it was easily deleted with Fetch.

tym

Sweet! Thanks for letting us know that it worked for you.