Deleted Database, But

wordpress

It’s been several months since I worked on my website, and I’ve forgotten a few things, and have to get used to Dreamhost, WordPress, and web design in general.

I just deleted a database, so that I could create a new one and install the latest version of WordPress. If I’m correct, the user is also deleted, so I was just going to re-create that. The problem is, while the database appears to be deleted, it keeps telling me the hostname still exists. I go to the hostname.mydomain.com, and a prompt pops up, asking me for a username and password, but the old one doesn’t work, and there is no other one! Am I forgetting something? How do I create a database using the same hostname as before?

Jen
http://www.SassyDevil.com/

You can check the status in DH panel --> Goodies --> Manage MySQL. It takes some time to update the changes.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color]. Sign Up NOW

When you attempt to create the new database, is the old hostname available in the “Hostname:” drop-down list? or is the only available option “Create a new hostname now…”?

Looking at the MySQL page in the panel, I can see no obvious way to manually delete a hostname, only add them. Databases themselves can be deleted, but I am not sure if deleting your last database on a particular MySQL server will also delete the hostnames you have associated with that server.

Adding a hostname creates a corresponding DNS A-Record for your domain, pointing to the MySQL servers IP address. In the past, A-Records associated with sub-domains have been known to become ‘stuck’, even after the sub-domain has been deleted, so perhaps something similar is happening here, with the A-Record associated with the hostname becoming ‘stuck’.

If this is indeed what has happened, then I’m afraid the only solution is to contact DreamHost support, detailing the problem, and they will run a manual DNS update on your domain, which should delete the unwanted A-Record, allowing you to re-create the hostname.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

IIRC, the “X” link immediately to the left of the “phpmyadmin” link “disables” the indicated host “immediately” (effectively “deleting” it).

Now, if other host names are still associated with the “host”, it will still exist, but will not be reachable via the “disabled” hostname any more (DNS record removed).

That said, I think you are right on the money about DNS records getting stuck…seems to happen from time to time. :wink:

–rlparker

Thanks for the info. Interestingly, I don’t have an “X” to the left of the “phpmyadmin” link for my hostnames, perhaps because my databases are on different servers and I have only one hostname associated with each.

OK, I just added a new hostname for one of the servers and now both the new and old hostnames have the ‘X’ present, so I suspect my reasoning above is correct and you can not delete/disable the last hostname associated with a server, at least this appears to be the case if you still have a database present on that server.

I just checked the ‘new improved’ panel and I notice that this does show the ‘X’ for a single hostname, but it is grayed out and hovering over it displays a message telling you that it can not be disabled.

Anyway, thanks again for the info, it made me do a little experimentation and I learned something new. :wink:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Sorry I didn’t get back sooner. Things are a little crazy.

I was able to delete the database, but when I tried to create a new one, with the same hostname, it wouldn’t let me; it told me the hostname already existed.

I couldn’t do anything with the hostname site (hostname.mydomain.com). If I went to it, it prompted me for a username and password, and the one I’d used with the database before didn’t work. I don’t have any others. So, I couldn’t access phpMyAdmin.

I just went ahead and created a new hostname and database. I’ve been able to recreate the hostname before, so I don’t know why this time was different, but it’s not a major deal. Thanks, anyway. :slight_smile:

Jen
http://www.SassyDevil.com/

As I stated in my previous reply, I suspect that you have a ‘stuck’ DNS record that is preventing you from re-creating the hostname. If you think that you might want to use that hostname again in the future, I suggest lodging a support request outlining the situation and they will run a manual DNS update on your domain, which should resolve the issue and allow you to re-create the hostname.

Mark